No instrument lights or taillights,fuse keeps blowing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

1984 Cutlass

Apprentice
Mar 12, 2012
Bloomington Minnesota
Ok so a couple days ago I noticed that I had no dash lights,and I was just switching over from the 84 and newer style to the 81-83 taillights. I turned them on to see how they looked on my car, and no lights! I'm guessing I had no tails at the time I discovered no dash lights, bad headlight switch? They blink with the hazards on,and I have replaced all the bulbs including the front turn signal bulbs. Any ideas?

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
I had the same problem a year or so ago. Whenever i turned on my headlights, all I had was headlights themselves. No tail lights, marker lights, instrument panel lights. And the fuse blew as soon as i turned on the parkinglight switch....

My fix was replacing the front lighting harness (running from the firewall to all the headlights/front turn signal/marker lights/horn). I unplugged the harness from the firewall, and turned the lights on. Fuse didn't blow. Then I found a used harness from another car, and installed it. Everything has been working fine from there. Just isolate parts of the wiring, and see if your fuse still blows.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
The headlight switch plug will have a orange and brown wire. The orange is the power comin form the tail light fuse and the brown is feeding the power to the tail lights. You have a short in either wire. Unplug the switch, with key in off position, set the multimeter to ohms and put one lead on the ornage and the other to a good ground. If u get a reading cut the wire on both ends and run yer own wire. If not do the same with the brown wire. With a ground reading on the brown wire u will have to isolate where it is. Unplug the bulkhead in hte trunk and test brown wire again. if the readingis still there u know yer taillight harness is allright. Run the wire from the switch to the rear harness.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
U will have to isolate the front harness as well because the brown wire feeds the fron park lights as well. hope this helps.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
1984 Cutlass said:
Ok so a couple days ago I noticed that I had no dash lights,and I was just switching over from the 84 and newer style to the 81-83 taillights. I turned them on to see how they looked on my car, and no lights! I'm guessing I had no tails at the time I discovered no dash lights, bad headlight switch? They blink with the hazards on,and I have replaced all the bulbs including the front turn signal bulbs. Any ideas?
Maybe you pinched a wire when you swapped the taillights.

1984 Cutlass

Apprentice
Mar 12, 2012
Bloomington Minnesota
I thought that could be possible of course, but I didnt have dash lights a couple days ago so idk. This car is pissing me off.

1984 Cutlass

Apprentice
Mar 12, 2012
Bloomington Minnesota
I found the problem! It was the wiring from the stereo,the illumination/dimmer wire that I normally just rip out of the harness was touching the deck. The pre cut wire bent and touched the stereo housing. Wow am I glad that it was a free fix!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor