No local meets

Status
Not open for further replies.

CenturyAero

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2014
Portland
For years I have been looking for a local group or club that has meets to take my car to and show it. Today at the grocery store I found a 1981 Malibu owner videoing my car. I constantly answer questions - usually "what year is it ?". Many ask what year Cadillac is it ? The make specific national club has local events but they look down on G Body cars and most all own 1960's and older. The national Oldsmobile and Pontiac clubs are dead locally as far as I can tell so that leads me to wonder if the national Chevrolet club has local members in any number with Malibu's ?

My car is quite rare with 7,364 sold and it was the top selling non station wagon body and series model and station wagons for the first time outsold all others combined by over 10,000 ! Many people have never seen the body style and have no clue it almost put Buick out of mid size car production. In Oldsmobile Cutlass production numbers it was selling in large quantities while extremely below previous years Cutlass volume.

The least popular body styles here in this forum, cursed and abuseful language used to describe them all over the internet - hated - and even cursed in comments, even in the Cutlass they are not plentiful today. And haters beware - people are even beginning to appreciate them today. Once thought of as tremendously ugly - take a look at the new cars. Egg shaped with the most ungainly and disorganized trim ever devised. Gawd aweful angles cutting into other angles that have no relation to anything is what buyers want now ???

It seems more people can appreciate two tone paint and chrome trim after seeing my old G Body car and looking at what fills the parking lots now.

There is a local Cars and Coffee but that is mostly all VW, BMW, Nissan, Volvo and other foreign can owners showing off their imports. A few super hot-rodded US make cars which don't interest most.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I always wanted one of the Buicks with that odd back window. Seems like they made a Turbo version, probably not a wagon like yours.
I am not a social media guy beyond some car forums, but, have you tried facebook?

Times are changing for car guys it seems, not that many younger guys into it.

Post up some pics!

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Portland isn't the most car friendly town in the US... The local yute's in Portland are being indoctrinated to hate cars because they are evil and trains, busses and walking are their future.

Maybe if you converted it to electric you'd get more interest from the locals.

If that car was in Texas, someone would convert it to twin turbo LS1.

rad928music

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2009
Minnesota
I never take my cars to car shows.
One thing its not a show car and never really like car shows unless I go at the end when everyone is leaving.
Then you can here the cars run and that's cool.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
When I was in highschool I was a dealer at a used car lot in Neptune NJ and the owner had one of those slope back turbo Buicks it was silver with a red gut we blew up the motor in it and replaced it with a sbc400. What a shame wish I had it now

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor