REGAL No low beam headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVDave

Apprentice
Oct 28, 2021
Arvada, CO
1985 Regal. Any ideas on the culprit? Dimmer switch?
The light switch sends power to the dimmer switch, which then powers either the high beam circuit or the low beam circuit.

Therefore, if your high beams work, the fuse and light switch are good and it's either:

The dimmer switch (very likely)
An open in the low beam circuit (possible but unlikely)
Both low beam bulbs are burned out (highly unlikely)

Note: These postings often emphasize checking the ground path, but in this case the high and low beams share a common ground. If the high beams work, the grounds are good.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
1985 Regal. Any ideas on the culprit? Dimmer switch?
If you’re buying a new dimmer switch get one that will allow flash to pass. I made this mod on my car 20 years ago so I don’t remember the application but it was a Cadillac switch that was a direct replacement. I’ve also read that the newer G bodies might have flash to pass? Not sure maybe someone has part numbers to back that up.

Reactions: 1 users

Mikey

Apprentice
May 1, 2016
High Point, NC
Got my headlights fixed. The very unlikely was the culprit. Both low beam lamps were actually bad. Bought new lamps and now have lights.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Got my headlights fixed. The very unlikely was the culprit. Both low beam lamps were actually bad. Bought new lamps and now have lights.
Were they just old or something? Or more suspiciously, was there an electrical event that popped them at the same time?

Or did you have just one go out and didn't realize it then the other blew? I had that happen on my 2006 GMC truck when I thought it would be cool to put those Sylvania halogen bulbs in the capsules. One burnt out, but there was enough light to see and I didn't realize it until one morning on the way to work, the remaining bulb sh*t the bed then I had to putter down the road with driving lights when I had to dim the high beams. I soon figured out those Sylvanias weren't all that and a bag of chips. They died way too soon too often to be much good. Got GM replacement stock bulbs and never had to change them again. Not as bright, but they stayed lit.

Mikey

Apprentice
May 1, 2016
High Point, NC
Were they just old or something? Or more suspiciously, was there an electrical event that popped them at the same time?

Or did you have just one go out and didn't realize it then the other blew? I had that happen on my 2006 GMC truck when I thought it would be cool to put those Sylvania halogen bulbs in the capsules. One burnt out, but there was enough light to see and I didn't realize it until one morning on the way to work, the remaining bulb sh*t the bed then I had to putter down the road with driving lights when I had to dim the high beams. I soon figured out those Sylvanias weren't all that and a bag of chips. They died way too soon too often to be much good. Got GM replacement stock bulbs and never had to change them again. Not as bright, but they stayed lit.
Yes, I think they were the original lamps. One could have burned out without me knowing it and then the other burned out. The car only has 56,000 miles in it. My aunt bought the car new. When she passed away, my Mom got the car. When Mom passed, I got the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor