No more paper factory manuals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So my Daughter bought a 2012 Jeep Liberty. I always buy the factory manual because I am the sucker that gets stuck working on the kid's cars. I cannot find a paper repair manual at all, just CD's, and they are more expensive than the paper. Research indicates that Chrysler, at least, quit publishing paper manuals around 2008. What gives?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Easier to use/read (for aging eyes), last longer, print as many pages/just the pages you need as many times as you want.
For them, it's win/win...cheaper to produce, way cheaper to mail, premium price for the "new mode of delivery technology"...it all adds up to increased profits!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
GM doesn't print parts catalogs anymore, hell their parts guys can't look up parts with out a VIN either so I guess it makes sense.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Cost as usual. You might look at Alldata. I used them for years. They just about have it all including service bulletins

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I haven't seen a crash book in years,like anything else it's more cost effective.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
There's also just a lot more info for the newer cars. A FSM for a 2018 would probably be 3 times as thick as a 1998.

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I haven't seen a crash book in years,like anything else it's more cost effective.

I remember the last time our rep tried to sell us paper books by saying "a lot of people like to be able to carry them out to the car". I showed her the laptop we had their estimating system on and told her we already had a portable "book"

• Agree

HADA442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2017
One PITA reality with service manuals for newer cars: It definitely isn't 'one-stop shopping' like it was for our G-Body cars. A lot of them have multiple volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor