Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

grandbonnevillecreature

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
Nice elky, too bad some idiot got a hold of it. I wish it was legal to shoot people who put anything bigger than 18" rims on anything smaller than a fullsize truck. You wanna put 22's on a Silverado, be my guest. But those circus sideshow crap rims on the Elky couldn't look any more stupid. Ugg!!! :roll:

Arok

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2006
Gainesville, Florida
I like 24"+ wheels on G-bodies and other cars, but not on trucks. I probably won't ever put anything like that on a vehicle I own. It's just impractical, but I like the way it looks. The reason I don't like them on big trucks is because IMO trucks should be able to run stuff over without bending a rim because they only have 3" of sidewall.

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think it's at least done pretty tastefully, after all it is a truck, so it doesnt look that bad jacked up. But all you gotta do it take them ugly wheels off and put on some TT2s or something and you'd have a well paid for, and looks to be quality workmanship in the car. A video was even included in the auction. But would I ever drive something that looks like that, maybe a few times to see what looks I'd get lol. But that's it.

grandbonnevillecreature

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
Hey Betsy, thats what I'm saying. The Elky high up isn't bad in itself (though I wouldn't do it personally) but to be rolling on those rims at that height is weak. If they were offroad rims/tires, it would be different.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Not to mention the dust sheilds he has in behind make them look like 24" hubcaps :roll:

I'm not a fan of Elky's, but I am even less of a fan of these "look at me" wheels on 4x4 looking cars. Hopefully this fad runs out soon, its about run its course...

Arok

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2006
Gainesville, Florida
85_SS said:
Hopefully this fad runs out soon, its about run its course...

I doubt it. Look at it this way, they aren't doing any damage to the car, but they are keeping the body in good shape. What I don't like about it is people who do it don't know sh*t about cars. They need brake upgrades and a lowered final drive to perform like they should. But I've seen the original 4-wheel drum brakes on a 5000 pound 60's model caddy whith 24" wheels. I bet that car is scarry to stop.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Too each their own I guess, I put this in about the same category as the "roller skate" phase a while back, with the little dinky wheels stuck out waay to far. :)

I think the big wheels don't look *as* dumb, but they at least gotta fit and be drivable!

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Arok said:
85_SS said:
Hopefully this fad runs out soon, its about run its course...

I doubt it. Look at it this way, they aren't doing any damage to the car, but they are keeping the body in good shape. What I don't like about it is people who do it don't know sh*t about cars. They need brake upgrades and a lowered final drive to perform like they should. But I've seen the original 4-wheel drum brakes on a 5000 pound 60's model caddy whith 24" wheels. I bet that car is scarry to stop.

That is the problem - most of these guys do not upgrade the braking systems and these cars are a big hazard. This is also why a lot of them run brake dust sheilds - to cover the now ridiculusly small looking brakes. They often also hack up the front fenders to be able to turn the monster truck wheels to any degree. But other than that, yes, these mods are usually reversable...

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Holy cow. Those are quite the wheels. I saw those wheels on a BMW 740, same color, except the wheels were probably more like 20". They looked good because the car sat down on them. I'll stick to my 14/15 rolling stock though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor