No oil pressure in Buick 455

Status
Not open for further replies.

sum_cut

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2011
Greer Sc
More problems with this motor. Just put in a new oil pump and getting a still getting no
oil pressure. I'm checking psi with sunpro gauge. It hasn't even pumped oil in the line. Don't wanna let it run for to long didn't want to damage anything. Took off oil filter to get to oil pump and oil filter is dry as the day I bought it. Anybody have any pointers about what I need to check?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if that pump is in the front of the engine you need to fill the cavity where the gears are with vaseline so the pump will prime..

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
sum_cut said:
More problems with this motor. Just put in a new oil pump and getting a still getting no
oil pressure. I'm checking psi with sunpro gauge. It hasn't even pumped oil in the line. Don't wanna let it run for to long didn't want to damage anything. Took off oil filter to get to oil pump and oil filter is dry as the day I bought it. Anybody have any pointers about what I need to check?

Dont start the engine, pull your distributor and use an oil priming tool to determine whether what youre trying is working or not. Turn the oil pump through the distributor hole, and watch your pressure gauge.

Next, I have some questions for you;
Is the engine rebuilt? Did you assemble it? If not rebuilt, how old is it? Have you had it for long? When did you do the last oil change? How bad was the oil?

1) First thing that comes to mind is plugged oil screen. But i dont know the condition of your engine.
2) Next thing that comes to mind is incorrectly installed, or damaged pickup tube. If your pickuptube has a hole in it, or it was installed incorrectly, then it may just be sucking air.
3) Next thing, (sorry dont mean to take a stab at your intelligence, but sometimes we can all forget simple things), oil level? Is it correct? How much?
4) Last thing that comes to mind is incorrect installation of the oil pump.

FInally, where are you measuring for pressure?

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
I've never had a 455 but I researched them while looking for a motor for my GN. One of the common problems people seemed to have was oil pressure/oil pump issues. Is it a weird design? Needs shims or something IIRC.

If you take out the dist and use a drill, you'll also have to spin the crank so the lifters will pump up. You can spin the motor with the starter and no spark plugs to check for oil pressure.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
LS1GN said:
I've never had a 455 but I researched them while looking for a motor for my GN. One of the common problems people seemed to have was oil pressure/oil pump issues. Is it a weird design? Needs shims or something IIRC.

If you take out the dist and use a drill, you'll also have to spin the crank so the lifters will pump up. You can spin the motor with the starter and no spark plugs to check for oil pressure.

Not on a new pump. Only wierd thing about it was it uses steel gears in an aluminum housing. As the housing wears you lose pressure.

I think pontiacGP's assesment is correct. Even all the things I mentioned, or incorrect shimming will get you SOME oil flow. If the filter was totally dry, then its like the pump isnt even running.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
X2 on the vasaline Its a must to prime the oil pump.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Never tried the vaseline trick...never needed to..oil pumps (especially new ones) will pull oil up from the pan if they are spun fast enough, such as with a drill down the distributor hole. Just my opinion....

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
The only engines that use this trick is Buicks since the pump is in the timing chain cover.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
oh...I just saw 455 and got all excited...lol.... :oops:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
81Regal said:
X2 on the vasaline Its a must to prime the oil pump.
X3 on using the Vaseline to help prime the pump. I've done this to my dad's old Buick 350 pump when I replaced it. Also make sure you have the proper configuration of oil pressure relief springs that usually come with a new pump.
This was for a HD pump, so I'm not sure if the stock replacement pumps came with the extra springs or not.
If I recall correctly, you also must check the pump gear clearance with a feeler gauge. I don't have the specs in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor