no power door locks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2017
Hello my 84 elcamino has power windows but not door locks. Is this the way they came or perhaps you could order one without the other? I been looking around a bit and haven't seen one like mine. the door panels and wiring don't show any signs of them ever being there, but who knows what the previous owners did.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think most any option could be added by itself since back then the base models would have no tilt or power options, ac etc
If you had power locks the code is AU3 and A31 for your power windows if you have a build sheet to compare.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I had a '79 Monte that had power window but not locks. Back when our cars were built you could still order them seperate unlike today with them either packaged together or standard features.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My 87 442 came with the WL7 popular option package stuff which includes power windows but strangely power door locks aren’t part of that. It was about some door locks, t-tops, and limited slip away from being fairly loaded out. Stranger things in the 80s.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I've had regals in the past optioned like that, and, currently have an 85 firebird downstairs that is power window/manual lock.

As said, just depends how it got ordered

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Starting around 1984, they started doing the "Select-A-Unit" or some crap like that. They bundled what they thought were popular options and the dealer just popped in a couple of codes and the car came built. Kinda like the way EVERYONE on wheel of fortune would pick the same letters, they eventually just automatically included them and let contestants pick a couple more letters. Something of that sort.

They came in different levels. G1, G2, G3 and G4 for the G-body. Each level built on the previous level. For example, G2 included everything in G1 group, plus a few more options. G2 almost doubles G1. Power door locks didn't enter the equation until G3 level, and you also got rear defogger and convenience lighting on top of G2.

Interestingly, the select-a-unit method did not contain limited-slip in any package. This is why I suspect that BUTTload of VIN 9 cars that were dealer ordered didn't come with G80.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I think that's referred to on the Chevrolet version order sheet as quick-spec. As you said, there were 5 "levels", each added more to what was in the previous level

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I often wonder what the G body sales people were thinking when selling a car.....maybe they made too much base salalry and didn't need to sell any upgrades....:unsure:

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
My '86 Monte SS has power windows,but no power door locks.
It also has the rear window de-fogger,and although they dont work,it has a couple of convienience lights under the dash.
Guy

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Several months ago, I bought and parted out an '84 El Camino which had both power windows and door locks. One of the reasons for buying the '84 was to strip out and install the power options in my '87 which currently has manual windows and locks. Doing so, will require swapping the main dash harness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor