no power door locks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
I added power windows and power locks to my 88 Monte Carlo SS that came with next to no options. I bought the harnesses and routed everything behind the dash, plugging in to the necessary spots in the fuse box and ground points and ran everything solo. I didn't touch any preexisting wiring or harnesses. You can pull the kick panels and see if there is a harness end there. This will be for the window/lock harnesses that come from the door. Another tell tale sign is if your A pillar and doors have plugs in the spots where the harnesses would come through. There will be plugs there if it didn't have either options, some times previous owners wouldn't place them in if they did remove the wiring for some reason.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Greasemonkey, hey what you did sounds like a good approach to avoid taking apart the dash. I have been thinking about doing the same thing to install power windows and door lock option to my '87 El Camino. I salvage/scavenged both door harnesses, glass, motors for windows, solenoids for locks, with all rods, etc.

To date, the only hold back has been how to supply power. Did you use a common 12v source and ground for both windows and locks?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My 87 Cutty Supreme Brougham has power windows, power antenna and a power trunk lock release, but strangely not power door locks.
The same dumbass who ordered your car ordered mine, it seems. :)

HE HATES POWER DOOR LOCKS!!!!!

MV5BZGZlZGZmMzMtZGRjOS00ZjlmLTg4MTctNWZmZmQyNDFlYWY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5NjM0NA@@._V1_.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Greasemonkey, hey what you did sounds like a good approach to avoid taking apart the dash. I have been thinking about doing the same thing to install power windows and door lock option to my '87 El Camino. I salvage/scavenged both door harnesses, glass, motors for windows, solenoids for locks, with all rods, etc.

To date, the only hold back has been how to supply power. Did you use a common 12v source and ground for both windows and locks?

If its me youre asking, I plugged my harness right into the spot designated for power accessories on the fuse box below the dash on the drivers side. My harness was complete so the end was stock and plugged right in. The locks require a relay that's mounted behind the kick panel on the passengers side. This has a weak grounding mechanism so I suggest taking the mounting point on the body where it mounts down to bare metal to get the best ground there. Let me know if you have any questions, I just did this swap myself not too long ago and most of it is still fresh in my mind.

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
My 1981 El Camino SS had "all the toys" .With both power windows and locks.It probably depends on what box they checked when they ordered the car. Either by junkyard and or aftermarket.they are upgradeable.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If its me youre asking, I plugged my harness right into the spot designated for power accessories on the fuse box below the dash on the drivers side. My harness was complete so the end was stock and plugged right in. The locks require a relay that's mounted behind the kick panel on the passengers side. This has a weak grounding mechanism so I suggest taking the mounting point on the body where it mounts down to bare metal to get the best ground there. Let me know if you have any questions, I just did this swap myself not too long ago and most of it is still fresh in my mind.
How about doing a "how to" write up to capture it in perpetuity for those that, say, join next year and want to add door locks? Or someone obtains a new G-body and it doesn't have them and they want to add them? Doesn't have to be college level, but explain (and any pics could help) what you did and how you did it and help out those in the future. No requirement, but just an idea.

Reactions: 3 users

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
How about doing a "how to" write up to capture it in perpetuity for those that, say, join next year and want to add door locks? Or someone obtains a new G-body and it doesn't have them and they want to add them? Doesn't have to be college level, but explain (and any pics could help) what you did and how you did it and help out those in the future. No requirement, but just an idea.

I'm all about this. Let me see what I can find as far as pictures I've taken and put something together in the next coming weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor