No power issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Bodydude1983

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2018
So I have a 1986 c-10, I have never had any issues with it what so ever but when I tried to start it the other day and it had no power at all to anything. I have measured the voltage across the battery terminals to be 12.6 but if I go from the positive terminal to a body ground it only reads 8 volts. I have checked numerous wires in the cab and they all only read 8 volts as well. What would cause the battery terminal to termail to read normally but positive terminal to chassis ground only read 8 volts? I did the same measurements on my el camino and regardless of location of the ground either on the negative terminal or a chassis ground it always reads 12.6 volts

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
does it turn over? what's the Amperage measurement?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Either a dirty ground connection somewhere or dirty or faulty battery cables.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
if you pull both negative and positive cables as airboatgreg says, then use a multimeter to check for Volts and Amperage, I suspect you will find Zero Amps, or close to it. my experience has been that anything less than 25% of rated CCA will get you nothing, and you typically need at least 50% of CCA just to turn an engine over

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
A ground may look ok, but... corrosion will stop it dead on its tracks! Take apart all the grounds and clean the surfaces and reinstall. There are never too many grounds! Ground straps from block to frame, to body, headlight harness to radiator header panel, and so on. Don't forget the battery cable to starter and ground to frame or engine block! Ground or lack thereof are one of the biggest gremlins (not like in AMC Gremlin) of cars electrical systems. As for the battery it needs to be checked with a battery tester. I've tried with the multi-meter and have not been successful with that process. Checked OK with multimeter but wouldn't crank! New battery solved all problems. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Do you know how to check voltage drop? You have a bad connection somewhere.

With your meter on volts. Place one lead on Battery post, one on battery connection. Should read zero or almost zero. Next move the lead from battery terminal to where it's connected. It should read zero. Keep doing this and somewhere it will read 4 volts (12 - 8 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor