No power steering after box swap and pump rebuild - '80 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shackleford

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2016
I swapped the factory box in my '80 Malibu coupe with a used box from a Grand National and rebuilt the pump. The "power" part of the power steering is not working and I have a few questions about how to narrow down the problem before I start swapping out parts.

I rebuilt the pump and replaced both the pressure and return hose. I bled the system by turning the steering lock to lock several times with the engine off, then with the engine on until the fluid level stabilized and there were no longer any bubbles in the fluid.

I believe the pump is the original unit from the factory V6 (car was swapped to a 305 before I bought it). The new used box came from a reputable seller on eBay who claimed it was tested before shipped. There are no leaks and no abnormal noises.

My first question is, how can can I determine if the problem is in the box or the pump other than swapping back the old box?

My second question, is it possible that nothing is wrong with the pump, but it's just not the right spec for this faster ratio box and I need a different pump?

My third and final question, I replaced the hoses with part numbers for a 305 car rather than a V6 car. Because of the shape of the hard line portion (which appears consistent across all part manufacturers) the pressure line forms an upside down U-shape which is higher than the reservoir. Could this be trapping air and preventing the box from receiving pressure? https://i.imgur.com/1ldYkgO.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
are you sure you got the o rings in the right place in the pump?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Shackleford

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2016
are you sure you got the o rings in the right place in the pump?
Yes, because initially I didn't. The pump was leaking at the union nut, so I took it off and found I did have the o-ring in the wrong spot so I fixed it and put it back on. The leak went away, but the performance did not change.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yes, because initially I didn't. The pump was leaking at the union nut, so I took it off and found I did have the o-ring in the wrong spot so I fixed it and put it back on. The leak went away, but the performance did not change.

I'd take it apart and redo after you watch this...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Shackleford

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2016
X2 Also, which valve is in the pump?

I'm not sure, how do I check?
I'd take it apart and redo after you watch this...

Thanks for the link, that was more detailed that the videos I watched when I did it. I didn't see anything obvious that I remember doing differently, but who knows, I have a spare seal kit so I guess I'll take it off and try again.

So the arrangement of the pressure line definitely isn't an issue?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
this is what you lines should look like......if the lines are on reverse the steering wheel will violently go back and forth. When you were bleeding the system did you feel any unevenness in the steering?

29y0cn.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
If you had the vanes out of the pump, make sure they are in correctly. They will be flat on one side and slightly rounded on the other. The slightly rounded side faces outward. If they are in backwards they will not seal and create flow.

• Informative

Shackleford

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2016
this is what you lines should look like......if the lines are on reverse the steering wheel will violently go back and forth. When you were bleeding the system did you feel any unevenness in the steering?

The wheel feels slightly lighter when turning back to center from full right hand lock, but it's not violent and I confirmed the lines are hooked up to the right port, but my lines are a different configuration that what is in your pic.

Shackleford

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2016
If you had the vanes out of the pump, make sure they are in correctly. They will be flat on one side and slightly rounded on the other. The slightly rounded side faces outward. If they are in backwards they will not seal and create flow.

This sounds promising because I did not notice this when I put the vanes back so there is a good chance some of them are in there wrong. Guess I have to take the pump apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor