No Power to AC Compressor on 85 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

85Cutty442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2016
Hey all
I’ve been looking for my problem in the search menu, I’m not seeing my problem, if this has been answered and I missed it, I apologize.

Here’s my issue.

Compressor won’t engage,
I noticed it wasn’t working, so I traced wires and found the wires coming from the compressor had been melted, I blame myself because they ran along the intake, so no big deal, I cut away the damaged wires, replaced with new, I have continuity between compressor and plug. Fuse was blown, so I replaced it.

Figured I’m all good now as it worked fine before.

Still nothing, so I thought maybe the relay in the engine bay by the heater, replaced it with new one,
Still nothing

So I guess well I’ll jump the pressure switch to see how much Freon is in the system, jumping switch doesn’t force compressor to engage,

So I vacuum down System, and proceed to refill it, gets to half a can won’t take anymore,

Checked to see if I have power at the compressor plug, I do not, only ground

So I’m thinking is there something behind the glove compartment. I see relays, but have no idea if they are for the AC.

The AC fuse in the fuse box is good, blower fan works,

I’m completely lost, I don’t know if I’m missing something obvious from being tired.

So I ask for any and all help to getting this right again

Car is a 85 Cutlass 442

Thank you guys

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
With key on and HVAC set to any of the following..Defrost,Max,Norm,Bi-level check for power at the light green wire where it connects to the cycling switch. If no power there, check for open in light green wire between HVAC connector and cycle switch connector. If all the above checks out, check the mode selector switch terminal where the light green wire attaches to it on the HVAC head

If you have power there, check for open in dark green wire from cycle switch to compressor

Also check that the ground on the compressor harness is good

You could reverse the order for ease of diagnosis/accessability, since the HVAC head can be a PITA on some cars

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

85Cutty442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2016
OK
I traced the light green wire from the low pressure switch to behind the glove compartment to a plug.
I have continuity between switch and the plug.
I have no power.
I pulled controller out a lil and looked at wires behind it.
Look ok.
I put controller on AC max, key on .
No power from controller to plug behind glove compartment.

Attachments

• A138FCC2-A9AE-46E7-8D39-503ECFC87070.jpeg
    A138FCC2-A9AE-46E7-8D39-503ECFC87070.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 421
  • 5C74BF6B-168F-495A-8FC0-D6FEF0480B7D.jpeg
    5C74BF6B-168F-495A-8FC0-D6FEF0480B7D.jpeg
    944.3 KB · Views: 503

85Cutty442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2016
OK
I traced the light green wire from the low pressure switch to behind the glove compartment to a plug.
I have continuity between switch and the plug.
I have no power.
I pulled controller out a lil and looked at wires behind it.
Look ok.
I put controller on AC max, key on .
No power from controller to plug behind glove compartment.

Attachments

• F57142B2-26C4-46D4-BEF3-FFCC6B8ED99F.jpeg
    F57142B2-26C4-46D4-BEF3-FFCC6B8ED99F.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 258

85Cutty442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2016
This is plug behind glove compartment

Attachments

• D42DD9BD-0A2F-4026-BEBB-7E6374BA5269.jpeg
    D42DD9BD-0A2F-4026-BEBB-7E6374BA5269.jpeg
    944.3 KB · Views: 213

85Cutty442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2016
Boy I screwed that all up.
The first pic is the bypass plug I believe it’s called, I have power there, I believe that comes from the fuse box under the dash.

If the controller is supposed to send power to the low pressure switch through that light green wire.
Then that would be my issue, since I have no power.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
There should be relay tied into that light green wire. I actually manually bypassed mine with a toggle switch. Same thing, burnt and hacked wires. I find the electrical garbage in these cars.

85Cutty442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2016
There should be relay tied into that light green wire. I actually manually bypassed mine with a toggle switch. Same thing, burnt and hacked wires. I find the electrical garbage in these cars.

The light green wire is see is coming directly out of the controller into a plug behind glov3 compartment, then travels up straight to low pressure switch plug.

Is that supposed to have power when selecting AC from the controller?

If yes, I need a controller, if no then which wire sends power out please?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
This might help...
FourSeasonAirConditioner.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor