No power to compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Willard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2008
Bates City, MO 64011
Please help me analyze this.... My car was taken off the computer before i bought it and is still running on the original block and transmission after mods made. The AC has never worked and now i want it to. Ive done the system conversion to R134a. Flushed condensor & evaporator, replaced accumulator and low pressure switch, new orings, vaccuum check and tried to charge the system with gauges. I have good fuse and contnuity at the switch. Clutch will engage with direct voltage, but it is not getting voltage from the pressure switch side. What could my problem be? A switch bypass does nothing, so i have an issue between switch connection and the compressor. Did removing the computer cause an issue I don’t know about?

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Are you getting power to the pressure switch? Also IIRC the power goes through the 4 pin connector by the passenger side valve cover, that connector commonly melts.

Reactions: 1 users

Gary Willard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2008
Bates City, MO 64011
I am not a big electrical person, but do understand the very basics. With the ignition off and the 2 wire Pressure switch harness disconnected, i checked the harness for continuity and it had none. I also checked it for voltage and there was none. Then i started the car, turned on the AC and checked the harness again for both, and still nothing. That’s what made me think I’ve got a problem somewhere in this part of the system. I also jumpered the disconnected harness while running and with the AC turned on and checked for voltage at the clutch, but still nothing. I thought the pressure switch only acted as a contact for closing or opening the circuit of power heading to the clutch. If it is supposed to have voltage at the pressure switch harness, how would i check it? You mentioned a four pin connector down by the passenger side valve cover. There is a single ground wire connected to the valve cover, but there is also a female end of a connector in the same group of wires. However, i don’t see the male end of the connector anywhere. Could this be my problem?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if all the other selections work have you checked for power coming from the control switch

FourSeasonAirConditioner-702x1024.jpg

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
You mentioned a four pin connector down by the passenger side valve cover. There is a single ground wire connected to the valve cover, but there is also a female end of a connector in the same group of wires. However, i don’t see the male end of the connector anywhere. Could this be my problem?
There should be a ground wire to the back of the cylinder head. If you only see one half of the connector that could very well be the problem. The 4 pin connector has a large red wire that feeds power to the blower motor relay. Ill try to get a picture of what the connector should look like.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There should be a ground wire to the back of the cylinder head. If you only see one half of the connector that could very well be the problem. The 4 pin connector has a large red wire that feeds power to the blower motor relay. Ill try to get a picture of what the connector should look like.

the lack of a ground would interfere the compressor's operation but the op said he has no power on the feed line

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Thanks for the diagram! This will hopefully allow my limited electrical skills to easily find my power issue! I’ll post my findings as soon as i get it figured out.

If you are working on your 84' Hurst Olds the schematic will be different than the one shown above. The H/O's have a special AC compressor cut out switch (unique to early VIN 9 cars) on the accelerator pedal. When you give it WOT the switch opens the circuit for the compressor clutch. You might want to check for voltage there and for correct switch adjustment.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
I was talking about the engine to body ground. True the OP was talking about no power to the compressor but that wire also goes through the same connector.
It does help to know what car the OP is working on.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
There is a single ground wire connected to the valve cover, but there is also a female end of a connector in the same group of wires. However, i don’t see the male end of the connector anywhere. Could this be my problem?

What color wires are coming out of the pressure switch? IIRC, the compressor ground is interrupted by the pressure switch on newer G bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor