No power to horn, courtesy light, or radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr84monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2018
Many years ago I started my drivetrain swap, and pulled the computer out of my 84' SS, and also at the same time pulled the aftermarket stereo out to install a more modern one. The drivetrain swap was finished two weeks ago, and when I got it back I noticed that the horn, and courtesy lights didn't work, and thinking that this was because I pulled the radio fuse and didn't think much of it. But this weekend I was working on the stereo, and got it wired, but went to fire it up, no power (I put a good fuse in). I plan to go over schematics when I get home, but I'm posting this to see if anyone might have had this happen to them and can tell me a good place to start.

carl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2017
missing a ground somewhere ? got to get that test light out there & see what's up

mr84monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2018
Would removing the computer wire harness, have an effect on ant of these items? They only thing that I've been able to figure out so far is more items not working such as the power locks. The courtesy light fuse was blowen and blows as soon as a new one is put in, so it appears that there is a short somewhere.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Reactions: 1 user

mr84monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2018
Yelp good news and bad. Bought a new fancy circuit tester on Amazon today and after it was delivered, I went to the garage, and thought hmm I didn't actually check the amps to the circuit. So I plugged in the multimeter and it read 11 amps (20 amp circuit). So naturally I say wtf and plug in a different tester and no short? After blowing 5 fuses in a row, I plugged in a new one and now everything works. Obliviously the bad news I don't have any idea where the short is, so it could come back at any time, and even more bad news is that I didn't get to use my new $70 circuit tester. Tomorrow I'll go out and wiggle more wires around to see if I can short it out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor