No Power To Starter Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

YungFlip43

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2018
No voltage to starter wire before or after fusible link with key in start position. Checced it with a test light. Think it’s the ignition switch? Everything else is working now that iRealized fuel pump wasn’t engaging and saw the hot cables for my fuse blocc broke off of the terminal.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There is no fusible link in the starter wire. The red wires with the fusible links feed the fuse box. There is a purple wire that goes from the ignition switch to the S terminal on the starter solenoid that gives power to the solenoid to do it's job.

YungFlip43

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2018
There is no fusible link in the starter wire. The red wires with the fusible links feed the fuse box. There is a purple wire that goes from the ignition switch to the S terminal on the starter solenoid that gives power to the solenoid to do it's
There is no fusible link in the starter wire. The red wires with the fusible links feed the fuse box. There is a purple wire that goes from the ignition switch to the S terminal on the starter solenoid that gives power to the solenoid to do it's job.
iMisspoke then. So do you think it’s the ignition switch? I’ve seen things mention neutral safety switch and starter relay. I’ve also seen there is no neutral safety switch on gbody cars. And I don’t see a relay or fuse for the starter. Either way the cable has no voltage. Which is weird because it did before iSwapped the engine and haven’t messed with it. But this is wiring and things happen.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you have a floor shift grab your column and turn it by hand counter clockwise to make sire the transmission is in park or try to start it in neutral

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

YungFlip43

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2018
if you have a floor shift grab your column and turn it by hand counter clockwise to make sire the transmission is in park or try to start it in neutral
iDid 😢. Well kinda. The transmission isn’t in. But me being confused and keep hearing about the N/S switch made me made sure the floor shift was in park. Didn’t turn the steering wheel (on purpose anyway). iDid swap the dash to digital before ITried to crank it bc iWas scared about oil pressure before starting the motor. Also when iFirst tested the wire (due to someone’s recommendation that it was a fusible link even tho it doesn’t look like the red fusible link wires from the bulkhead) it didn’t light up. Be when iTried it before whatever the black box is at the end of that purple wire the light came on one time. But never again afterwards.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the red fusible link wires gets it power by being installed on the B post of the starter solenoid along with the battery cable. If you have a burnt fusible link that could cause no power to the ignition switch. You can check to see if there is power to ignition switch

StarterSystem.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

YungFlip43

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2018
the red fusible link wires gets it power by being installed on the B post of the starter solenoid along with the battery cable. If you have a burnt fusible link that could cause no power to the ignition switch. You can check to see if there is power to ignition switch

StarterSystem.jpg
Yeah iGot that page. That and some more helped me figure out what cable was connected to one of the fusible links. Everything has power except the purple wire. I’m lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor