No rest for the weary!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I am hoping someone can give me an easy fix for my timing cover, in which one of the self-tapping bolts decided to pull through when giving it a little torque. Of course it really was the last one to go in and the gasket sealer has since hardened. The longer story is that I bought an aftermarket supposedly OEM timing cover. The first thing that didn't happen was the dowel holes were simply too small. Secondly, the seal would not go in and stay in. Trying to get it seated correctly, it would doink and fly across the room. About the 5th time of that and I decided to put the original timing cover in. It was really not in bad condition but I wanted to get new parts in it mostly. I have thought of larger self-tapping bolts but I am still afraid to tighten. I would really rather not take all of the front apart again, but it seems the only solution, tack on a nut. Anyone else have this happen ever? BTW this is the 1968 timing cover I am working with...the one from the factory! The OEM replacement was EBAY. It was too late to return it before I even started the build. Live and learn, you get what you pay for.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Im a little confused. What kind of timing cover uses self tapping screws ? Ive never seen a cover that isnt held on by a normal threaded bolt.

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
Well,if this is a sbc, there shouldn't be any self tapping fasteners, Just 10 1/4-20 bolts. And I don't think there are anything other than standard threaded bolts on an Oldsmobile either.
Could be wrong, but never had any self tapping fasteners on the probably 100 plus timing covers i have dealt with. But that is just me.
But maybe I don't understand the issue and have no business replying.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
It's an Olds.
Just drill it through, and through bolt it with a nut . Easy fix.

It is the lower left one on the water pump, inside. Will it clear? I'm not sure how much room there is with the chain.
Im a little confused. What kind of timing cover uses self tapping screws ? Ive never seen a cover that isnt held on by a normal threaded bolt.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State

The water pump has 4 self-tapping bolts that thread into the steel plate alone, not into the block. There are a bunch more that thread through the plate and water pump into the block, and 2 dowel pins for alignment.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
Well,if this is a sbc, there shouldn't be any self tapping fasteners, Just 10 1/4-20 bolts. And I don't think there are anything other than standard threaded bolts on an Oldsmobile either.
Could be wrong, but never had any self tapping fasteners on the probably 100 plus timing covers i have dealt with. But that is just me.
But maybe I don't understand the issue and have no business replying.

SBO

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
The water pump has 4 self-tapping bolts that thread into the steel plate alone, not into the block. There are a bunch more that thread through the plate and water pump into the block, and 2 dowel pins for alignment.

Learn something new every day. I never worked on an Olds before. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor