No spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

amx69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2007
Syracuse,N.Y.
I'm usually more of a lurker as you all seem to have it all under control, but I have run into a bit of a problem. I've done several G/B body small block conversions over the years and by this point its pretty much point and shoot for me. This time I bought a 84 Delta ( yes I know its technically not a G-body, but its pretty much functionally identical), pulled out the tired 307 and trans and replaced them with a pretty stock 350 (.030 over) and th350. Everythings in, plumbed and wired and ready to go. Go to fire and nothing. Cranks like a champ, but won't fire.
Its getting gas, the timings on, but no spark. Changed out the Professional Products cd box and dist (known to work as it was in my running AMX when I decided I needed a daily driver and not a poorly disguised street legal? race car) and put in an Accel dist. (bought new and tested by a buddy) and still no spark. The only difference I've seen in this swap was that there were to 2 pigtails that went to the big starter lug rather than the one and the battery cable as per normal. Did I miss something? I'd start tearing hair out, but its pretty much gone anyhoo

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Are you getting any voltage to the ignition switch on the collumn?

amx69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2007
Syracuse,N.Y.
I'm getting a full 12 volts to the coil wire and it drops to 10.5 - 10.8 whilst cranking. Pics of the AMX? Ill try to get some as its currently doing duty holding birdshit off the ground. How bout a vid just after I got her running?

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I like those AMX and it's sad they closed that company down....:)

have you removed the cap to make sure the rotor is turning when cranking the engine?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Also double check the spring loaded contact or "button" between the coil and the rotor.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
My theory is a little rusty but...how do you confirm the timing is 'on' when there is no spark. Did you test the rotor position lines up with #1 ign wire at TDC? And as said before - is the distributor turning? Did you use a spark tester to confirm wires are good? I once had a 73 GMC 3/4t that popped the ignition fuse causing a no start.

amx69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2007
Syracuse,N.Y.
Actually it was 2 things. I had ganked the PP spark box and dist. off of the AMX along with most of the wiring (easier than doing it from scratch). In the AMX it was wired with a diode to alleviate run on issues. It appears that this won't be necessary in this case. And the second prob. Tex nailed. The new ProForm dist was missing the button and the rubber washer. The folks from Proform are awesome, answered the phone immediately and told me they'll send it out in today's mail. Won't get around to fixing it til the weekend but next week I should have it on the road and I can let my wife have the jellybean back.
20160418_164040.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor