No start problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supremeone

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Changed out my trans, hooked everything back up and the starter won’t crank. Worked perfectly fine before I did the switch. I’m getting 13-14 at the battery and 0.00 at the starter. Both wires are hooked up and almost brand new so I’m stumped.

Supremeone

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Checked and cleaned the terminals on battery, starter and grounds. Still getting nothing. Lights, radio, hvac all work. Nothing from the starter. I installed a new steering shaft, could I have twisted the column out of place so the car doesn’t think it’s in park?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
turn the lower part of the steering column close to the dash and turn that to the left as far as it will go and try to start it....you can also try it in neutral to see if it starts.....but that would not solve your problem with no volts at the starter

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
No voltage at the starter or at the solenoid?? Do you have a fusible link wire on the wire to the solenoid that might be shorted?

Supremeone

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have the battery cable and another red wire going to the big post on the starter. I have another wire on one of the small posts. Maybe the single wire is on the wrong post? And I’m not to sure what a backdrive linkage is? Sorry still learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor