No Tack, No Speedo, After 5.3 Engine Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

83hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2022
I dropped a 2005 Tahoe 5.3 in my Hurst. Looks and runs great. However is there a way to hook up Tach and Speedo to the factory rally gauges. I got all the gauges to work (oil, fuel,temp) but not the Tach and speedo. A friend who did the work says the only option is a Dakota Digital Dash, or a digital/analog converter box., and the tach would require a similar tach converter box as well. Are these the only options? I want to keep the factory gauges and looking for option if any.

Attachments

• Hurst Engine Bay.jpeg
    Hurst Engine Bay.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 95

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Not cheap but Jegs sells a comverter to drive the stock speedo.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
What computer are you using? Factory or Holley? Holley hooks right up to the tach no issues.

Reactions: 1 user

83hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2022
Not cheap but Jegs sells a comverter to drive the stock speedo.
Thanks, I will check it out.

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
<-- Link to gauge/scanner
My brother used a scan gauge like this that plugs straight into the factory 5.3 harness OBD. Not cool as having the working factory gauges, but it gives you all the information you will need. (speed, rpm, AF ratio, mpg, temps, pressures, hp, you name it) and doubles as a scan gauge which is nice to have around anyway. $150 you cant beat it in my opinion

83hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2022
<-- Link to gauge/scanner
My brother used a scan gauge like this that plugs straight into the factory 5.3 harness OBD. Not cool as having the working factory gauges, but it gives you all the information you will need. (speed, rpm, AF ratio, mpg, temps, pressures, hp, you name it) and doubles as a scan gauge which is nice to have around anyway. $150 you cant beat it in my opinion
Thanks, this is a viable option. Speeding tickets will run a lot more than this option. I will check it out. Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Should be a white wire coming from the pcm for a tach signal,hook it into the factory tach wire and program in hp tuners the correct pulses. I think ls pcm sends a 4 cylinder signal. You have to set tach resolution to 3/3 and it should send a 8 cyl signal. Atleast thats how I understand it. The speedo is a little trickier if you have an electronic transmission. I know they make a tailhousing that has provisions for mechanical speedo gears for a 4l80e idk about 60e. Or the speedo converter box posted above.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

83hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2022
Should be a white wire coming from the pcm for a tach signal,hook it into the factory tach wire and program in hp tuners the correct pulses. I think ls pcm sends a 4 cylinder signal. You have to set tach resolution to 3/3 and it should send a 8 cyl signal. Atleast thats how I understand it. The speedo is a little trickier if you have an electronic transmission. I know they make a tailhousing that has provisions for mechanical speedo gears for a 4l80e idk about 60e. Or the speedo converter box posted above.
Thanks, I will check the tach option set up on the PCM. I do have the 4l60E transmission. I heard about swapping the tail housing as you mentioned. I may need to revisit that option. Thanks.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I'm using the dakota digital speedo box. Just love it. It has blue tooth, so you can tune it your phone. Slick as sht

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor