442 No tail lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
Can anyone give me some basic ideas where to start other then what I've already done. All my lights work except tail lights and rear side marker lights. I've tried changing bulbs and changing light switch on dash. Wires seem in good shape not brittle . One thing I didn't check is the fuse Is the fuse separate for the tail lights or would I have other lights out as well?sorry I just thought of that normally I would check fuses first lol.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Pretty sure the parking lights are a common fuse for front and rear. Start by seeing if you have power on the dark brown at the light socket, then if still no power, work your way forward. there is a plug that connects the aluminum ribbon cable to the exterior harness inside the trunk, on the floor, rear, driver's side. Check the ground while you're there; sometimes the brake or turn signals can pull ground through the parking light filaments.

Reactions: 1 users

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
Pretty sure the parking lights are a common fuse for front and rear. Start by seeing if you have power on the dark brown at the light socket, then if still no power, work your way forward. there is a plug that connects the aluminum ribbon cable to the exterior harness inside the trunk, on the floor, rear, driver's side. Check the ground while you're there; sometimes the brake or turn signals can pull ground through the parking light filaments.
Ty

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
Check the ground to frame on rear lights all share a common ground point
Next check the harness connection driver side well in trunk

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
check the left side of the fuse box, there is a connection there with the harness for the rear lights. The brown wire which I think id the 3rd from the bottom is the wire for the rear lights. The harness is made with single strand aluminum wires which corrodes so see if the wire is broken at the harness, if not and you have power there check the connector for that harness in the trunk to see if you have power there. If you don't then you'll have to find where the wire is broken. If someone put a trailer light harness and used the aluminum wires with a quick connection then that is where your problem is.

if your brake lights work they use the same ground as the lights so I don't think the ground is where your problem is

Reactions: 1 user

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
check the left side of the fuse box, there is a connection there with the harness for the rear lights. The brown wire which I think id the 3rd from the bottom is the wire for the rear lights. The harness is made with single strand aluminum wires which corrodes so see if the wire is broken at the harness, if not and you have power there check the connector for that harness in the trunk to see if you have power there. If you don't then you'll have to find where the wire is broken. If someone put a trailer light harness and used the aluminum wires with a quick connection then that is where your problem is.

if your brake lights work they use the same ground as the lights so I don't think the ground is where your problem is
Yes they do Ty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor