Noise from front end when applying brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Am getting. for lack of a better word, squeaking noise from the front end but only when I apply the brakes. This vehicle is not driven that often and well taken care of. I'm thinking this is either a suspension or brake issue. Is there a good way to check without taking the tires off? I ask because I recently had back surgery and am not allowed to lift anything over a few pounds which definitely rules out changing the tire.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Am getting. for lack of a better word, squeaking noise from the front end but only when I apply the brakes. This vehicle is not driven that often and well taken care of. I'm thinking this is either a suspension or brake issue. Is there a good way to check without taking the tires off? I ask because I recently had back surgery and am not allowed to lift anything over a few pounds which definitely rules out changing the tire.
Greetings! Hope your feeling better from your back surgery first of all.

From experience only, I would recommend my little trick. Take a garden hose and spray water on your brakes on ONE side only in the front. If the squeak is gone, you found the side right off that's making the sound, if it still persist, spray the other and test drive. Water will do no harm and will evaporate and may help you pinpoint this issue. Good luck

-Will

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Thanks. I'm no longer walking around like I'm auditioning for the part of Igor from Frankenstein. So if it's the brakes, water will eliminate the noise, correct? And if the noise doesn't go away can I assume it's a shock absorber?

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Thanks. I'm no longer walking around like I'm auditioning for the part of Igor from Frankenstein. So if it's the brakes, water will eliminate the noise, correct? And if the noise doesn't go away can I assume it's a shock absorber?
Well that's good news!! lol...and assuming it IS the brakes yes, this trick has worked well for me over the years. I'm not sure how your braking, but lets just assume your not spiking them or applying them aggressively to make the car change stance. So if your cruising down the road and ever so lightly apply the brakes just so they touch and they make the noise, then its your brakes for sure. If you do that and no noise is made, then try applying them more aggressively , this changes shock position and many other suspension parts are now under pressure, and if you here it then, looks like you pin pointed it to the suspension / steering aspect of it. I'm leaning more toward the brake side of it to be honest.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Well that's good news!! lol...and assuming it IS the brakes yes, this trick has worked well for me over the years. I'm not sure how your braking, but lets just assume your not spiking them or applying them aggressively to make the car change stance. So if your cruising down the road and ever so lightly apply the brakes just so they touch and they make the noise, then its your brakes for sure. If you do that and no noise is made, then try applying them more aggressively , this changes shock position and many other suspension parts are now under pressure, and if you here it then, looks like you pin pointed it to the suspension / steering aspect of it. I'm leaning more toward the brake side of it to be honest.
ok. Cool! Will Give it a shot. Hope you don't mind me asking about 1 other thing concerning noise. Just had the power steering box replaced and I'm hearing noise when I turn but it doesn't sound like a belt slipping or linkage. Haven't had the chance to check it's fluid level yet. Any suggestions?

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
ok. Cool! Will Give it a shot. Hope you don't mind me asking about 1 other thing concerning noise. Just had the power steering box replaced and I'm hearing noise when I turn but it doesn't sound like a belt slipping or linkage. Haven't had the chance to check it's fluid level yet. Any suggestions?
My pleasure, and no worries at all! Is the noise like a moaning changing pitch noise when turning the wheel side to side? IF the level of the fluid is to the correct full mark when hot, it could possibly just be working the air out of it from the install. The noise should subside after a little driving time on it.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Is the noise like a moaning changing pitch noise when turning the wheel side to side? - Pretty much, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor