non ac control head

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2017
Hello, I finally installed the heater in my car. I have the non ac heat control in the dash . How do you shut off the blower fan? Nothing on the control shuts it off. just low, med & high speeds. Yes i replaced the resistor, fan motor & used the factory wiring. Nothing on the slide selectors shuts it off either. I have to be missing something.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
What year is your car?
Our 78 Cutlass is the same, no option to shut the fan off.
In summer I unplug the blower motor under the hood right on the heater box.
I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to wire in a power switch to the motor.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The ignition is your only factory on/off switch for the blower motor in your car.

I had heard from a crusty old mechanic at my old GM service garage that they kept the blower motor on to minimize starts/stops of the fan for electrical reasons. Starting/stopping is hard on electric motors. This is true, at least for AC powered pumps in which I have some experience in. But I find it hard to believe it is a concern for a lightweight DC fan, though. But what do I know? This is simply anecdotal, no evidence I have found to support or dispute.

Someone told me once years ago it was for making sure the resistors had air flow to cool them down after heater use, but that doesn't make much sense because if you turned it off, they would no longer be energized, so they would naturally cool down.

carl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2017
Thank you guys. the car is a 84 & I think the heater box & all the rest came from a 81 malibu. I will just unplug the blower motor if its a issue. I will never notice it when the engine is running. Thank you for the help.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Government mandated. It was a federal law starting in the late 60's that required all car makers to have the fan running enough to pull outside air in at all times.
Makes the most sense. So they could continue their crap quality builds and allow leaky exhaust to enter the cabin and attempt not to kill anyone by carbon monoxide poisoning.

Except it must have been a mandate in the 70s because my 71 has an "off" for the fan. So did the old 72 442 I had. Cuz when it's off, it's off.

Reactions: 1 user

carl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2017
The heat /ac control I removed has a off position as does everything else i have driven to my knowledge.This is a first for me. Its not a problem until the summer maybe.We will see.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I have a few panels with & with out the molded in block in what would be the "OFF" position. Some cars did come with the ability to turn off the fan. I think one might of been done be the car's owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor