Non G body question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
So guys and gals i have a question about a 2005 Dodge Magnum. It has that pos 2.7 v6 that chrysler put in everything. About a year ago it overheated on my daughter. Thermostat housing froze. Replaced that but still used water. Head gasket i think. I put a can of block seal in it. Seamed to work. Now chk engine light came on. Hooked up my handy code scanner. #2 injector misfire. Replaced it runs fine. Now has a top end rattle. Pretty nasty. But it comes and goes so i dont think its nottom end. But while its running it just suddenly shuts off. I have loaded a video for u to look at. And when it shuts off thats not me shutting it off. Just does it by itself. It will restart though. Any ideas would be appreciated. It has 221,000 miles on it. Im gonna have to done load the video on a separate thread. It will be next. Sorry

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Sounds like that engine has seen better days. If you warped the heads when it overheated it's probably cheaper to put a different engine in than rebuild. Does it smoke and smell like burning antifreeze?

Stalling could be a number of things, it's not throwing any error codes?

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
Sounds like that engine has seen better days. If you warped the heads when it overheated it's probably cheaper to put a different engine in than rebuild. Does it smoke and smell like burning antifreeze?

Stalling could be a number of things, it's not throwing any error codes?
No it doesnt. Im thinking the timing chains are the noise. Its really weird that it just dies after a few minutes of running when the engine starts freakin out then dies. The are no codes. Says its clean. Totally baffled

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I'm not really familiar at all with those chrysler engines at all, I know they made a ton of them. I wonder if the timing chain/chains have a hydraulic tensioner that's at the end of it's stroke and can't tension any further, or may not be applying sufficient pressure. I really don't know, but I know that happens in some engines.

I had a car once that the AC compressor seized up and before I figured that out, if you turned on the defrosters it would make the engine bog down, surge, and eventually stall because the idle air control valve couldn't keep the engine revved up enough to fight the extra drag.

I think that's a pretty unique problem but who knows. I'm basically just thinking out loud. Sorry.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
My biggest problem is why it starts freaking out and dies. It starts right back up and starts ralttling again and dies. Why it just dies. I've hooked up my code scanner and there are no codes. Its a pot and i understand that but it should idle.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If it's insured those things have a tendency to accidently fall off cliffs...just sayin'

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The Problem with the 2.7L DaimlerChyrlser Engine

Preventing oil sludge is usually as easy as maintaining regular oil changes. In some engines, however, oil sludge can be unpreventable due to a defective crankcase ventilation system, water pump or some other problem.

In the case of the 2nd generation 2.7L V6 engines from DaimlerChrysler, reports indicate a poorly designed water pump allows internal coolant leakage which leads to oil sludge. Even with regular maintenance, Dodge and Chrysler owners is that even with proper care, their engines are experiencing catastrophic failure.

69201689302b296d26973d5c72147c65.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Could be a vacuum leak sonewhere. Computer controlled engines generally freak out when there are any vacuum leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor