Non G body question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
2.7s are a sh*t design. If it is sludged real bad, you may have low oil pressure that can't drive the timing chain tensioner out with enough force to keep the chains from slapping. It would be worse at idle, and could be from a blocked oil pump pickup or a worn out pump. If you see the oil light flickering at idle, that is a good sign that that's what's going on. I went through this on my ex-wife's old Intrepid.

My advice, get rid of it ASAP.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
Oh i want to unload this thing ASAP. I have no oil pressure lights flashing in the dash. There are no trouble codes. Its wore out. Im sure the timing chains and hydraulic tensioners are shot. My only real concern is why it starts rattling real bad and dies.

350-G

Apprentice
May 2, 2015
GA
Oh i want to unload this thing ASAP. I have no oil pressure lights flashing in the dash. There are no trouble codes. Its wore out. Im sure the timing chains and hydraulic tensioners are shot. My only real concern is why it starts rattling real bad and dies.
. Having owned my 04 Ram since new. I have learned that later model Dodge cars and trucks have two common problems. Egr and throttle body. The o-ring at the end of the egr tube will suck air, and the throttle body will need cleaning or need Replacing. A $3.00 o-ring maybe part of the problem. If that don’t help I would take the throttle body off and clean with TB-cleaner and see if that doesn’t helps. Just don’t spray cleaner down in the intake. That will just wash all excess oil inside the intake down to the cylinders and cause more problems. Hope this helps. F4589E92-CDCD-4300-991B-470D0B199CD8.jpeg

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
My only real concern is why it starts rattling real bad and dies.
If your tensioner are loose enough, I could see it getting cam correlation errors and the computer shutting down because it doesn't know when to fire the spark plugs. That should leave a code in the computer, but cam and crank sensor related errors don't always leave an error behind.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
If your tensioner are loose enough, I could see it getting cam correlation errors and the computer shutting down because it doesn't know when to fire the spark plugs. That should leave a code in the computer, but cam and crank sensor related errors don't always leave an error behind.
Thanks for the info. That could be the reason for the dying. I will chk it out

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor