Noob question. Can someone explain to me what this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
So I have a question thats probably going to be pretty stupid but I dont know what to search to get information. I bought the car with the motor swap to an olds 350 already done. There is a cable sitting on the the intake that looks like its supposed to be connected to the carb. I thought it was a manual choke but when I followed the cable it runs down to the transmission. Im not sure if its supposed to be hooked up or what it does. The car seems to drive normal. The cable runs through some sort of spring then down to the transmission. I'm pretty new to working on cars so any help will be appreciated. 
DSC_0141.JPG DSC_0143.JPG DSC_0146.JPG

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Kick down cable I believe. Now I'm no guru and others will chime in here, but I believe it should be connected to that hole at the bottom of your carb linkage in that first pic....

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
I assumed it was supposed to hook up there also but wasn't sure so I left it how it was. I also don't know if it makes a difference but the car has a 2600 rpm stall converter.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
It is the kickdown/downshift cable.....it's to downshift the trans on heavy or WOT throttle. How has the car been driving without it? I'm wondering if it was purposely unhooked or it just got itself unhooked. In either case, if you hook it up it may need adjustment.....

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
The car seems to be driving good with out it. When driving down the road and I get on the throttle the car downshifts and goes great. Slight pause after pressing the petal due to the stall. I'll google how to adjust it once and see what happens. It's not hurting anything not being hooked up right?

kyleBblazercrazy

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Won't hurt anything just won't shift down when you go to pass." Passing gear" some call it. Kick down cable. Unless you have a 700r4 transmission then it is the tv cables and it will destroy the transmission. You must have a 350 turbo.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
Yes its a 350 turbo. Forgot to put that in the first post. I'm going to hook it up this weekend and see what happens.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Let us know your findings. As Kyle said, it's the 200 and 700s that really need the TV cable set up right or they go poof fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor