NOS carpet install

Status
Not open for further replies.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I sourced NOS carpet from Mark Nounan, who owns a couple of Grand Ams here. Originally I bought the dark blue carpet from Dixie Monte Carlo but it turned out to be I believe the ACC Sapphire color which is too dark, Federal Blue is the right ACC match I found out from Bobby Gentile. It didn't match the floor mats and he did the leg work on color match. I confirmed with a sample that I had but this fell in my lap coincidentally which is insane... finding something like this is one of those things that shouldn't exist and just boggles the mind. It had the factory jute and that was a treat to work with seeing the perforations for the optional center console including the rear bracket but not the shifter or cable which was perforated to cut out. The bucket inner bracket provision were there even though the carpet was not provisioned for buckets. The jute was even thinner at the tunnel/firewall. What was a bonus was the protective fiber reinforced plastic cover marked "dealer to remove".

Attachments

• 20221116_183302.jpg
    20221116_183302.jpg
    771.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 20221116_183338.jpg
    20221116_183338.jpg
    996 KB · Views: 84
  • 20221116_183616.jpg
    20221116_183616.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 20221116_183406.jpg
    20221116_183406.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20221116_183626.jpg
    20221116_183626.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 91
  • 20221119_124554.jpg
    20221119_124554.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Did you find a build sheet under the original carpet by any chance? When I did my gray 85 carpet I found it half stuck to the floor in the passenger rear footwell as part was smashed into the sealer on one of the seams and I couldn't save it all. Plus I had a broadcast sheet behind the driver bucket back that belonged to another gray 85 442 built a couple of cars ahead of mine.

I've yet to search anything on the black 85. Finding NOS carpet is complete stupid luck! Talk about unobtanium. Nice!!

Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Did you buy this a year or two ago? I thought I recall a NOS blue carpet for sale on one of the FB groups. I’d love to find a gray one. Can’t be many (or any) NOS carpets out there.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Did you buy this a year or two ago? I thought I recall a NOS blue carpet for sale on one of the FB groups. I’d love to find a gray one. Can’t be many (or any) NOS carpets out there.
Out there, but rare.

Bought an 86 suburban NOS carpet 2 years back. In its case, a body shop obtained it for a repair many many years ago that for whatever reason didn't happen ant it was on a shelf somewhere till they were shutting down.

Really I don't think things like it wind up often advertised nationally, someone local who needs and wants it to use winds up with it more often than a flipper for resale.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Some might recall 6+ years ago I saw an add for some A body NOS interior for $400 about a 1/2 hour from me.
When I saw the pictures I knew it was for a G body and my buddy and I went to go look at them and these were all NOS parts that the guy's dad had bought from somebody he knew at GM and was going to use for a project car that never got finished and they sat in the basement since new and I bought everything and took it home.
These were new never installed 60/40 burgundy pillowtops with new power bases on both sides, new matching pillowtop rear seat upholstery, new carpet, headliner and a couple yards of matching material.
I originally was going to flip it but I got my 86' Regal about a month later which had faded burgundy interior so I decided to install all of this in my Regal and used the extra material to make my upper door panels.
After having this in there for a couple of years while I was building the car I decided I wanted buckets and console and sold the front seats with my old power base on the driver's side and a manual track on the passenger side and the rear upholstery for $600.
I installed both the new power bases on my new Cerullo buckets before installing those.

20170716_205240_resized.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Did you find a build sheet under the original carpet by any chance? When I did my gray 85 carpet I found it half stuck to the floor in the passenger rear footwell as part was smashed into the sealer on one of the seams and I couldn't save it all. Plus I had a broadcast sheet behind the driver bucket back that belonged to another gray 85 442 built a couple of cars ahead of mine.

I've yet to search anything on the black 85. Finding NOS carpet is complete stupid luck! Talk about unobtanium. Nice!!
Yes, it was under the drivers side front and was essentially imprinted into the floor pan, wasnt really salvageable.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Out there, but rare.

Bought an 86 suburban NOS carpet 2 years back. In its case, a body shop obtained it for a repair many many years ago that for whatever reason didn't happen ant it was on a shelf somewhere till they were shutting down.

Really I don't think things like it wind up often advertised nationally, someone local who needs and wants it to use winds up with it more often than a flipper for resale.

Seems whenever a dealership closes someone buys or acquires whatever parts are laying around and re-sells them, at least it seems to happen often from what I've seen. Maybe sometimes only local or if a small enough stash someone just tosses it. I'm sure some gems are laying around from similar situations on shelfs or even as mentioned above, someone bought it back when you could from a dealership/GM and it's a long forgotten project or just not used. Or some collector/hoarder has it until they pass away with tons of other desireable parts. Until then, I'll keep waiting laying in the lurk...😅

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor