Nose piece for a '78

Status
Not open for further replies.

78lemans

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2006
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Nose piece for a '78-'79 Pontiac G/A

I'm building a '78 Pontiac Lemans and need a new nose cone for the car. The original one is cracked and both grilles are broken. I've always liked the '78-'79 Grand Am nose better than the Lemans unit. I've checked several parts yards here in lower Michigan and can't ever seem to find one. Anybody have one they'd let go of that also has it's grilles? Also, am I going to need to change my bumper support and/or core support to swap this nose on? Thanks.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Yes,the nose reinforcement would also need to be changed.
The Lemans in much flatter, G/A protrudes out like the rubber nose.
You'll need a pair of grills, a pair of parking lights, a pair of the elusive turn lenses and the near non existant nose crest (pontiac emblem).
You can reuse the metal strip that attaches at the top with all those little screws, hood latch and nose to fender hardware.

The nose reinforcment should have the metal trays comming out underneath the head lights as well. These are pop riveted on and are sometimes rusted out.

78lemans

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2006
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Yeah, I was hoping to grab all that stuff off of a parts car, but every one I find so far has vertical tears eminating up from the bumper jack slots. Bummer. I thought about seeing if I could take one to a body shop and have them 'plastic weld' it, but only if that's my only alternative.

I've found a few Lemans noses that aren't in bad shape, and it's not that I dislike them, but I really love the G/A front view. Actually, when this car is finished it will most likely be a 50/50 blend of Lemans and G/A parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor