"Nostalgia" Lemans (327/Muncie swap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ottawa_LeMans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2021
Got the engine + transmission mated yesterday after some effort to properly align the clutch disc with the pilot bushing.

In the end I had to use the transmission itself as an alignment tool (while the pressure plate was just finger tight) to align the clutch disc.
I think the chamfer on the end of the clutch kit alignment tool was too forgiving compared to the input shaft, so the shaft wasn't aligning with the pilot bushing at first.

Attachments

• engine+transmission.JPG
    engine+transmission.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
In times past a lot of shops kept the input shafts from various models of transmissions that they had scrapped and used them as alignment tools. Lots easier to wrestle just the input shaft than the whole t-mission.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
I bolted an atv winch to an engine hoist, followed with a slip on bracket over the picker end with a welded line doubler for them there kinds of jobs...

If ya cant reach the jacking handle to get out of a pinch(literally), 'might as well have a separate way out. ATV winch comes with a pendant and 2 easy buttons🤔. Up and Down. Cheap cargo straps serve as little come-a-longs when a leveller isnt handy. I'm in Merivale this week. If ya need a hand, pm me.

R.

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
This is what i like about this place... sponge up all kinds of info for me at times, and i get to give back every so often. All kinds of rigging can be done wit this set-up. Fabric slings slide in the tunnel nice and easy without compromising rust prevention tactics while fitting by yourself.

As the old guys used ta say... dont put your fingers where you wont place your favorite tool🙄.

I did make this rig for my bigger engine crane... hence the visegrip wich holder on the bridge beam. It bolts in easily to the other unit.

I pieced an ATV winch in one of the neibors' homemade (not so portable saw mill, using garage door spring/shaft and its pulley in order to raise/loeer the saw head. With a couple of extra line doublers i was able to half the raising and lowering speed making it easier to land on appropriate cut width. No pics of that one i dont think...

Hope this explains better.

Attachments

• 20210802_121800.jpg
    20210802_121800.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
  • 20210802_122454.jpg
    20210802_122454.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
  • 20210802_122506.jpg
    20210802_122506.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
Reactions: 1 users

Ottawa_LeMans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2021
Engine and transmission are now in the car.

Thanks ttype for the PM over the weekend, that was a huge help.

As per your method I ended up going with cargo straps on the tailstock as a leveller.
I had a leveller on the hoist but using the straps seemed to allow me to send the transmission just a little further back into the tunnel.
Using another ratcheting strap secured around a tunnel brace beneath the car, I snagged the tailstock from the cabin side and pulled it back while it rode on my floor jack.

I have a few pictures that I will post soon.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1598.JPG
    IMG_1598.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
Reactions: 4 users

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
Right on! Working by yourself isnt easy, however wit the right "well thought out" moves, anything is possible. Also, it takes a pretty big man to stop and listen to that little voice on your shoulder when things just don't seem right. Superb!

R.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020

I had a leveller on the hoist but using the straps seemed to allow me to send the transmission just a little further back into the tunnel.
So, you installed engine/trans as a bolted assembly (together)?

Ottawa_LeMans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2021

Thanks ttype for the PM over the weekend, that was a huge help.

As per your method I ended up going with cargo straps on the tailstock as a leveller.
Using another ratcheting strap secured around a tunnel brace beneath the car, I snagged the tailstock from the cabin side and pulled it back while it rode on my floor jack.

I have a few pictures that I will post soon.

Thanks
Ok fewer pictures than I thought but this one gives a decent picture of the method I used. To lower the tailstock I alternated between the 2 ratchet straps, loosening and adding a little length to one at a time so that the tailstock dropped about a 1/4 inch at a time. (Might sound a little sketchy but not too unsafe I don’t think. They were 1000lb straps). All the while lowering the engine until it could be grabbed and pulled back into the tunnel by another strap.

Attachments

• C1D75279-329B-4FCD-8CAD-1D9A5BE0BEB1.jpeg
    C1D75279-329B-4FCD-8CAD-1D9A5BE0BEB1.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor