Not a G Body but I have a car question??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
I recently bought a 1991 olds 98 regency elite,Not my favorite but I couldent pass up the deal.Well the problem I have is...... When I put put the car in drive the transmission does not kick down into 1st,it stays in 3rd but when I manually shift it into 1st it shifts fine in all the gears.

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
Probably a stuck solenoid, I would have it looked at by a transmission shop. Manually shifting the trans bypasses the shift solenoids and allows it to shift, that's why it is working when manually shifted.

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
y'all are in the same city, go check it out for him regal! :lol: see if it has a vacuum modulator valve. replace it. should be less than 20 bucks

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
Won't have a vacuum modulator valve that trans is all electronic will have three solenoids inside the pan, one for each gear.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Thanks fellas,solenoid is what somebody else told me too.I hope thats it.I picked the car up for 500 bucks and its clean with only 103,*** on the motor.If its only a solenoid its gonna make a great every day driver.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Turns out my car may be in "Limp mode"???Has anybody heard of this??Right before I got the car they had to change the harmonic balencer.Would that do this??And if so how do I fix it??

breeaad

Greasemonkey
Jun 4, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
Limp mode will typically put it in 2nd gear, not 3rd. And manually shifting wouldn't fix it. Can't be certain about that model, but my experience tells me that's not the issue. You can test the solenoids with a multimeter. Not sure what the resistance should be on that one, but a quick google search should tell you. But sounds like a shift solenoid issue to me as well.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
"Limp mode" means the onboard computer is not running the show. Is the "check engine" light on? Just enough basic operating information is built in to "limp home" without the ECM so you can get it fixed. I would run a diagnostic on your ECM and see what's up. Get someone with a good scan tool to access the engine and trans data.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That means it's intermittent, or a "soft" code and must be diagnosed while it's lit. Or you need a scanner that goes into the history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor