Not sure what to offer for a set of 4 Olds SSII wheels 15X8 in good condition with rings and centercap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Oh I have been steered wrong by some educated members here...........so I trust God and question EVERYONE.........😇

I am to have pics of wheels and stampings by Sunday.........so until then.........we just wait........patience is a virtue......

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Stampings and pics of the center section welds will tell you exactly what it is, especially if it's factory.

Also, if the stampings aren't on the inside of the wheel, they MIGHT be on the outer rim which would be covered with the trim ring. So in case he claims there's no stampings inside...

Reactions: 3 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Stampings and pics of the center section welds will tell you exactly what it is, especially if it's factory.

Also, if the stampings aren't on the inside of the wheel, they MIGHT be on the outer rim which would be covered with the trim ring. So in case he claims there's no stampings inside...
That's what I am hoping to see and rely on...........thanks

Just wanting to put 265/50/15s on rear.......with 4 or 4.5 backspacing..........hope they fit..........

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
From what I understand, and I could be wrong here, is that the early 15 x 7 SS II/III painted wheels with the snap cap had a 4.25" backspace. AFAIK, the only SS II/III wheel with a 4" backspace was the 83-87 VIN 9 all chrome wheel. I am not familiar enough with every detail of the painted versions of the 15 x 7s. I got several 442 chrome wheels around here, though.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Now thinking about it now I know WHY Wheel Vintiques were total azzhats to me when years ago I asked them if they could make the backspacing on their repro chrome SSIII's with 4" backspacing instead of the 4.25" they made them with. They said they measured the stock wheels and they were 4.25". I wasn't even thinking they were measuring the painted non-H/O or non-442 G-body wheel.

They simply put a new hoop on a refurbished center (all SSII/III centers are the same whether 14 or 15"- only real difference is how the cap attaches), which means when they chromed them, they were likely painted to begin which they would have had the extra 1/4" backspace. I thought the guy on the phone was being a buttmunch for not even entertaining the idea. Rude mo fo. That's what I get for not thinking outside the box. Actually, that's what we all got for THEM not thinking outside their box. They obviously never measured a 442 or H/O wheel.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
From what I understand, and I could be wrong here, is that the early 15 x 7 SS II/III painted wheels with the snap cap had a 4.25" backspace. AFAIK, the only SS II/III wheel with a 4" backspace was the 83-87 VIN 9 all chrome wheel. I am not familiar enough with every detail of the painted versions of the 15 x 7s. I got several 442 chrome wheels around here, though.
If this deal falls through I may be PM'ing you for a price on those wheels if you want money for the holidays.......but remember...I'm NOT Santa Claus🎅

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor