Not sure what to price my 81 El Camino at

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I've found a few SS Monte Carlo's I want to check out. I plan on buying a Monte first, then selling the El Camino after Monte is ready for daily duties.I have a friend pushing me to sell El Camino to him but really not sure on price. The El Camino has an older Goodwrench 350 mileage unknown. It does not smoke but does have a pan gasket leak. I drive it every day and it's reliable. The AC works. It has no rust other than a small spot on drivers floor board from a gounge/dent. Looks like someone ran over something. I don't think there is one dent in the bed floor, It has shorty headers, aluminum intake, flowmasters, and turbo 350 trans. I just redid the interior with a full dash cover, new carpet, embroidered floor mats, and seat recovered. I have 2 extra yards of matching seat material to do the upper door panels. I have replaced a lot of small stuff like tires, drivers side a arm bushings, ball joints, all 4 shocks(air in rear), brake calipers, pads, rear shoes and hardware kit, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, turn signal switch, wheel center caps, and other crap I'm forgetting. I have some brand new parts for it as well = SS fiberglass lower air dam, roof rail seals, Super Sport vinyl decals that are close to stock, complete bed moulding clip set, tail gate cables, outside door handles, and probably other smalls. I put on a steel cowl hood and have the stock one here also. The doors are dented up and have two passenger side doors to go with it. The drivers side can be repaired. The paint is horrible but it's mechanically sound. The horn does not work (missing the spring part on wheel) and windshield washer. It has power windows and tilt. Drivers side window motor is new. Passengers motor works great. It's got the SS decals but not a real SS. The prices on my local craigslist ads for El Caminos are all over the place. What are you guys opinions on value?

elcamino before1.jpg elcaminointeriorclose.jpg

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
hm.... agreed that CL is all over. Been looking for a while now :mrgreen: watching with interest:rolleyes:

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
to be 100% honest I wouldn't give a penny over $2500.00 for it. That's not to say that it's "worth" double that with all the work you have in it. This is only my opinion based on the outward appearance. Some people really dig the "patina" look but I am not one of them. A quick paint job back to the factory color ( so you don't have to break it all down ) would net you a $6k asking price in my books, even more if it were sold up here in the great white north. Not a lot of people have the resources, space or skills to take on a project as big as body and paint. If you went all-out you may see north of $8k maybe even $10k for it with a nice complete paint job.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I was going to say $2500 too based off of some of the nice $3k- $4k cars I've seen on here. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't sell it for $2500 though. I would paint it and keep driving it.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I was going to say $2500 too based off of some of the nice $3k- $4k cars I've seen on here. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't sell it for $2500 though. I would paint it and keep driving it.
I cannot keep it and drag in another. I'd rather have a Monte

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I cannot keep it and drag in another. I'd rather have a Monte
Understood. Just hate to see you sell your hard.work cheap.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I'd pay 2 for it. You'd get 3, MAX. And that's a 1 in a million chance. Be lucky to get 2.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I've followed your build thread on the El Camino. I know that you've put alot of work into it so far. I'd hate to see you sell it at all. I'd like to see it painted.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'd pay 2 for it. You'd get 3, MAX. And that's a 1 in a million chance. Be lucky to get 2.

The Elco market in OK/TX is pretty strong, beaters are north of 2K, nice ones are 5K and up to whatever they think the market will bear. I would have to see it in person, but at 2500, I'd be really interested...just to complete the set, already have an 81 wagon and 81 coupe. No plans on buying a crewcab though, they ruined them in 81 with the formal roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor