Not turning over

Status
Not open for further replies.

onebad86SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2017
Lancaster, Pa
t's probably something small that I missed, but here's what I got.

The car has been sitting since mid April. It has a full tank of gas and Sta-Bil in it.

Over this period of time, I've put on new spark plugs and wires, new headers, removed the air pump & associated lines, removed the EGR and cleaned up some other small vacuum lines.

I installed the headers and reducers and do NOT have a new 02 sensor in there yet, waiting on it to show up.

I wanted to start the car, but it'll just crank and I hear it pop like it's trying to fire, but never does. I reconfirmed firing order (HEI distributor) and it looks good.

Is there anything I missed or anything I removed that could be preventing it from starting?

Thanks for the help everyone!

onebad86SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2017
Lancaster, Pa
Yes. Confirmed fuel and spark.

Forgot to mention on original post that before the car got parked, it started no issues.

During the whole project, I never touched the distributor or any of the timing.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
You'll find this is an extremely friendly and helpful forum. One of the few informal rules here is to introduce yourself and your car before we get into the tech bits. We are wary of the hit and run posters who just ask for help and then disappear.

Is the distributor timed correctly? That is - when to rotor points to #1 is it at TDC for #1 cylinder/
EDIT: without changing anything from the last time it ran it now will not start...
-are the plugs wet with fuel?
-

Reactions: 2 users

onebad86SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2017
Lancaster, Pa
oh ok, my apologies, thanks for the feedback.

My name is Kyle and I live in Texas. Have had this '86 SS Monte since high school. I did a simple crate 350 swap about 4 years ago and at the time it had all the emissions everything with Edelbrock TES headers.

I parked it in April and it started / ran no issues. First thing I did was replace the spark plugs with NGK header plugs (gapped correctly) and accel ceramic booted plug wires.

Other than that, I removed the air pump, blocked off the EGR, pulled the cat and installed long tube headers / x pipe / etc.

It was time correctly when i parked it, but I will check again and pull #1 plug and use a paper towel and reconfirm rotor location.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
How did you confirm spark? You should be able to crank the engine with a timing light hooked up and confirm #1 is firing at the correct time.

Are you running the stock ECU, carb and distributor?

PS: I have 'onegood86SS' - all stock

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

onebad86SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2017
Lancaster, Pa
for a quick check, i did the screwdriver in boot.

It is running the stock carb (rebuilt), stock ECU and HEI distributor.

I don't have a timing light to check, but I'll get one. I guess I keep going back to the fact that it ran before the change and I didn't touch the distributor, but I'll never rule anything out....yet

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Did you make sure you have the plug wires on correctly. For the EGR that actually helps you to be able to run your timing advanced more with it than without it. Without the EGR the temperature rises in the combustion chamber so you'll have to retard the timing to prevent pinging

onebad86SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2017
Lancaster, Pa
good point on the EGR, i can get it back on there quick enough.

Plug wires correctly seated on both sides and I checked firing order twice.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Hi Kyle.
I don't know how much experience you have. What has happened to me from time to time is that I overlook simple things and tend to look for big problems first.
-look for loose or unplugged connectors and hoses or just something you forgot to tighten completely
-don't assume a new part works out of the box.

I'm not implying you did anything wrong but it's always good just to go over everything you touched or turned (again based on my screwups in the past and probably the future).
Is the dist cap attached correctly and how is the center electrode...spring loaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor