Notch??

Status
Not open for further replies.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Hey, has anyone here ever notched the frame on a G body for bigger tires?? I'm not talking about a full-on narrowed n' tubbed job, just section a bit outta the rails. I'm thinking about doing this to fit my 275/60 15 BFGs.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
You won't have to notch the frame for those tires, just get the properly backspaced wheels.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Well, I have the right wheels, that is, the tires don't stick out and look dumb. But I have about 1/4" of clearance. I may stick a spacer in the back, but how much room do I really need??

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
You need enough room between the frame and tire so that there is no rubbing when you make a turn and the suspension bushing allow the axle assembly to move sideways. I'm running 275/50/17 tires on 9.5" rims and have maybe a little more than 1/4" tire/frame clearance, but I have new poly bushings, old OEM rubber bushings may allow more sideways movement. Trial and error will tell. You may have to add a wheel spacer but that might also mean longer wheel studs especially if you have an aftermarket allow wheel with a thick flange. Be careful, having a wheel come off at speed can spoil your day. By the way I have a 1979 El Camino but tire fitment on all G-Bodys is similar.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
I have custom made 15x8 Chevy rally wheels. Do your tires protrude outside the wheel well?? I have stock bushings, a factory rear sway bar, Lakewood No-hop bars. The traction bars eliminate the rear bushings on the upper control arms. You are right about the trial and error. But all of the G bodies I have seen with 275s have the tires sticking out, unless they've had some surgery.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
No, no, no! When the wheels protrude beyond the fender I think that vehile looks like a refuge from a tractor pulling contest. My wheels are all tucked in, the Elky is lowered 2 inches, and there is no surgery on the wheel well lips. Go to the NECOA website in the Members Gallery, mrapii, for some pictures.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Wow. Nice lookin car there. I guess I'll just put a lil spacer back there and go for a spin and see whats what. Thanks for the help.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Well, I got a pair of 5/16 spacers. I stuck one on. It pushes the wheel out too far, putting the tire in jepoardy of hitting the wheel well. Gives me the clearance I want, but other things I don't.
*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor