'Nother wagon body "saved"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Brought this one home yesterday, traded for it a while back, just took him a while to dig it out. Probably going to be the 2 door wagon project, just need to find a roached Malibu coupe shell for front of quarters and B pillar parts. Had one, but felt it was too good to cut up and sold it to a racer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Man, I really wanted to do this project to my '83 20 years ago. How will you deal with the differences in windshield rake? I had planned on separating the roof skin at the drip rail and keeping the upper B-pillars and structure. The ribs across the roof make a line where you could merge the coupe roof / A-pillars with the wagon firewall. Then fill in the quarter panels with the coupe's and merge them at the wheel well. I really wish you lived closer, and I would be there every weekend to help engineer this project.

Please save me the right rear door if the bottom is not rotted out.

Last edited:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'll be using the wagon structure and windshield pillars, Malibu coupe doors (have) and front of Malibu quarters/B pillars;inner quarter structure. Believe I will have to make the B pillars a tad taller, and will probably build a frame for the door glass from the original doors. I have a guy that claims he can get the glass made for the quarters (and doors, if needed), but am currently working on a couple different ideas for those windows.

I have seen a coupe with a wagon rear spliced on, made a funny looking roofline. I like the way the original slopes back gradually and with a coupe windshield/pillar it gets humpy in the middle. Biggest gripe about the Fox body wagons, roofline is too tall all the way back.

The RR door is badly sideswiped, but if you're desperate, I can probably find one...same guy has another wagon that may or may not be mine, and is parting a 79 sedan, but the window frame would have to be transplanted to it for a wagon. He parted 2 or 3 other wagons, but only kept the front doors since the rears had had the handles shaved (poorly, I might add)

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hi Brian,
Looks like an excellent candidate for a 2-dr wagon project. I too have wanted to do this for a looong time. I've had no real luck finding a donor coupe body at the time...but later realized that I could've used El Camino doors and changed over the glass to coupe type. I would've either used the rear doors for fillers, or grafted pieces of the coupe's quarter panels.
The quarter window glass would have been another issue.
I do recall you mentioning once about using front door window frames extended, in order to retain the A-pillar angle.
I've seen it done over the years in various ways. However,many, I didn't care for too much. There have been a few that were done like it would have been from the factory. That's the look you want to achieve.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Aww, c'mon man.

Guess I should be posting it in here instead of the "What did you" thread.

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Brian,
I'm anxious to see how this project progresses.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Ask Chris if he can relabel this into a build thread. Then we can find it again....

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor