Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2016
oldbridge nj
20151121_131145.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you could use a mini starter and wire it to use a ford style solenoid so it can be mounted away from the heat of the headers. I have a CVR starter with the ford style solenoid mounted on the wheel well and never had a problem with heat.

starter_solenoid.gif

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Header wrap on a street car usually leads to a very short life span for the header.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Pontiac, aren't you still technically using the stock position solenoid in that diagram? The part you are trying to bypass. Why not just run the battery wire from the remote solenoid directly to the starter stud, bypassing the stock solenoid all together? Then there would not be a need for the short wire from the batt post to the s terminal.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Check your voltage with a multimeter. Check it at battery and then check the big starter post on starter solenoid. Should be the same. If your header is cooking the starter it would do it when engine has been ran and not dead cold. I have ran stock starters on a few G bodies with the shorty style headers with no hot start issues. You just did a big stereo system install didn't you? I wonder if your battery was weak and then the big amps finished it off or the alternator. You can get a digital meter at Lowes, home depot, hardware store, etc. Basic ones are around 15-25 bucks. I would not buy parts till you know your voltages. When you get it running again, check the voltage while its idling and post it here for us.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Pontiac, aren't you still technically using the stock position solenoid in that diagram? The part you are trying to bypass. Why not just run the battery wire from the remote solenoid directly to the starter stud, bypassing the stock solenoid all together? Then there would not be a need for the short wire from the batt post to the s terminal.

because the solenoid is needed to engage the starter gear into the ring gear

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
But I thought you was trying to eliminate the chances of the solenoid near the header getting heat soaked. If you take the battery wire from the remote solenoid to the bottom post of the starter you completely eliminate the solenoid and the starter will work as soon as the remote solenoid is energized. 20160111_045129.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when the s terminal is connected to the battery terminal on the solenoid the solenoid is being bypassed and resolves the heat soak problem

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Pontiacgp, i love you but a solenoid is basically a relay. 2 contacts would be 12v + and - to energize the coil (in this case ign power and starter casing to engine ground) and battery voltage input and output. In that diagram you are using the battery output of the remote solenoid to energize the solenoid at the starter via small wire from battery post to "s" terminal. In the diagram you are using 2 solenoids to power that starter. If that solenoid at the starter goes bad(for whatever reason, heat soak, internal ground, etc. ) that starter will not start. Now if you want to wire it like that diagram that's cool, but it will not be functioning like a Ford setup or eliminate the heat soak problem that may or may not exist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor