NuB from Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2008
Big Spring, Texas
I have been running through all the forums here lately and finally decided to become member. The only reason I have not in the past is because my Malibu is in a pretty sad state. And has been for a while just because of "life comes at you fast" in general. I am the proud owner of a 1980 Malibu Classic 2 door. Factory (repainted) Cinnabar Red. My parents gave it to me for my 16th B-day. They were the original owners too. Let's just say I put pretty much all my money and time into it for several years. About 8 years ago, I had a mishap with the factory wiring that caused a pretty signifigant fire and pretty much destroyed the interior and wiring. Long story short, all the parts I needed were either junkyard trashed, dry rotted, or just not available yet. So basically the Malibu has rested in the garage ever since that day slumbering, until last night. I logged into a very long night of internet searching to every link possible related to G-Body vehicles and found that pretty much all the interior parts and universal harnesses are being made. SWEET! Pricey stuff though. Believe it or not after draining the fuel, refueling, new thermostat, coolant, oil, and brake fluid plus bleeding, it fired up after about 20 minutes of jacking with the timing. Then I noticed the carb leaking fuel out of every gasket and seal. Swapped the carb and purred like a kitten. So now I have a newly found kick in the squirrels to get this thing back on the road. Keep in mind it hasn't been started since the day it caught fire. So, I'm pretty excited. I will be asking plenty of questions about parts to be swapped over. The reason for my "phrankenstine" usernamed because it is nicknamed just that. In the past, I have already upgraded to a GN 8.5" with Moser axles, Auburn posi, and Richmond 3.73's. I also installed the Hotchkis rear control arm kit when I swapped the rear. As for plans, I have a used 01' LQ4 6.0 truck motor complete and 4L80-E. Both probably need to be rebuilt, but it is a start. I also have 79' frame to be swapped under it because mine had a trailer hitch bolted under it that caused some rust on the rear frame rails. Great to be here and thanks for all the future help.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
sounds like quite the project you have there. any pics of the car? how did your exterior fend with the fire?

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Welcome to the site. You will find lots of help hear.

Nightmare388

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2007
North West IL
Welcome! Sounds like you have been through hell and back. Must feel real good to have her running again. Congrats!! Would love to see some pictures.

Feb 12, 2008
Big Spring, Texas
I'll get some up in the next couple of days. Thanks for the welcome. The exterior of the cars was fine from the fire, it was jsut all the soft stuff on the interior that went up. Seats, carpet, plastic trim, wiring, dash, door panels, and of course water damage. I got most of it all ripped and cleaned up.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
damn that sucks! but that powertrain is gonna be sick. :D good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor