NV3500 into a 1980 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
i will use this thread to keep track of the installation of the nv3500 i have into my gbody

i have the trans complete with slave and master cylinder already prebled.

nv3500.jpg

i got a set of 98 - 02 camaro pedals that i am working on getting put in. i will need to get some pictures of that,

the transmission btw is the close ratio m50.

any input is welcome.

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
i am getting the slip yoke i need for the transmission next week. i measured the nv3500 to be a 1/4" shorter than my th350 so the driveshaft length should not be an issue.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Check the shifter location, it might come through the radio and dash??

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Just out of curiosity, what made you choose the NV3500 over a T-5? They don't really have a higher torque rating. NV3500 is rated at 285 and T-5 is rated at 275 or 300 depending on ratio. The shifter is pretty far forward. They don't shift very quick. They are bulky. They have pretty low first gear and a shallow overdrive that don't really compliment your 3.42s. That may require you to gear back up to something in the 3.08 range which puts more stress on the transmission.
...You said any input was welcome :lol: .

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
DRIVEN said:
Just out of curiosity, what made you choose the NV3500 over a T-5? They don't really have a higher torque rating. NV3500 is rated at 285 and T-5 is rated at 275 or 300 depending on ratio. The shifter is pretty far forward. They don't shift very quick. They are bulky. They have pretty low first gear and a shallow overdrive that don't really compliment your 3.42s. That may require you to gear back up to something in the 3.08 range which puts more stress on the transmission.
...You said any input was welcome :lol: .

yeah,
the nv3500 kinda came to me, so im going with it,

the first gear isnt that low, its a 3.48 which isnt much different than the t-5

most torque ratings i have seen are around 300 foot pounds which is close to the t-5, the new venture however is from a pickup so it will see a much lighter load in my car,

plus i have been running the 3.42's with my th350 that has no overdrive, so i should be fine in this.

and yes, any input is welcome,

i know this isnt the most common swap, and i know there are reasons things become common... because they work well and simply

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
anakputa said:
Check the shifter location, it might come through the radio and dash??

yeah, i will need to double check that,

shouldnt be project ending even if it does,

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
DRIVEN said:
They have pretty low first gear and a shallow overdrive that don't really compliment your 3.42s. That may require you to gear back up to something in the 3.08 range...
That's a good point. I don't remember where this came from, but a first gear final drive ratio of 9:1 is considered ideal. Multiply your first gear ratio and the rear end gear to come up with your overall first gear ratio. The combo being discussed would be nearly 12:1 in first, this is almost creeper gear territory. With a 3.08:1 rear end the ratio drops to 10.7:1, and you'd have to go all the way down to 2.73:1 in the rear to bring first overall to 9.5:1.

'Wide' and 'close' ratio transmission gearings were chosen for use with tall or short rear end gearing. That NV3500 is set up with some really 'wide' gears that would match up better with tall (numerically lower) rear end gears.

For example: I'm using a T-56 with 3.42:1 cogs in the rear end. 2.66(first) x 3.42(rear) = 9.1:1
The previous rear end was a 3.73:1. 2.66 x 3.73 = 9.9:1, not too bad but the change was made because I was reaching for fifth earlier than i wanted to.

One more thing, any idea how you're going to hook up your speedometer to that transmission?

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
Clutch_Grabwell said:
DRIVEN said:
They have pretty low first gear and a shallow overdrive that don't really compliment your 3.42s. That may require you to gear back up to something in the 3.08 range...
That's a good point. I don't remember where this came from, but a first gear final drive ratio of 9:1 is considered ideal. Multiply your first gear ratio and the rear end gear to come up with your overall first gear ratio. The combo being discussed would be nearly 12:1 in first, this is almost creeper gear territory. With a 3.08:1 rear end the ratio drops to 10.7:1, and you'd have to go all the down to 2.73:1 in the rear to bring first overall to 9.5:1.

'Wide' and 'close' ratio transmission gearings were chosen for use with tall or short rear end gearing. That NV3500 is set up with some really 'wide' gears that would match up better with tall (numerically lower) rear end gears.

For example: I'm using a T-56 with 3.42:1 cogs in the rear end. 2.66(first) x 3.42(rear) = 9.1:1
The previous rear end was a 3.73:1. 2.66 x 3.73 = 9.9:1, not too bad but the change was made because I was reaching for fifth earlier than i wanted to.

One more thing, any idea how you're going to hook up your speedometer to that transmission?

haha no clue yet on the speedo, one idea i had for a temp thing was a bike speedo on the driveshaft, i read about a swedish man with a turbo volvo motor \mated to a ford explorer awd trans in a 32 ford and he was using a bike speedo, i thought that was a neat idea, and until i figure out the speedo, i think that is the route ill hafta go,

as far as the ideal first gear ratio, 9:1 does not sound to my liking the way you are explaining it,

my th350 with my gear ratios was 8.6:1... HATED it, i hate a first gear that long,

this is what my set up came out in a speed calculator assuming i shift at 6k
1st: 40
2nd: 65
3rd: 100
4th: 141
5th: 193

that is very similar to my taurus sho where i shift at 7k 1st @ 40 2nd @ 60 3rd @ 100 and so on,

i love that set up, however i do not know what the gear ratios are in the sho.

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
got the new feet welded to the pedals today,

6bc925bc.jpg

cc51b393.jpg

b51e881d.jpg

i am getting a bracket made for the top of the pedal assembly,

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
have you checked for clutch m/c placement yet? I know that there's little room around the brake power booster... just a thought before you start tearing hair out.... hope this thing works out for you, as a manual swap isn't out of the question down the road...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor