NV3500 Swap Shifter Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2018
Ongoing 1980 Safari Wagon project. Still getting everything i need together for the 5 speed swap, but my SSM pedals are on their way. Decided on going with the NV3500 because I'm only running a stockish 350. I want to keep my bench seat and the s10 shifter location looks almost too far back, but it seems to be the transmission everyone uses for this swap. Does the full-size truck nv have the shifter located too far forward? Would like to see pictures if anyone has successfully used either transmission with a bench seat.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I think the full size truck transmission is about 11 or so inches forward of where the S-10 transmission is. There is a good chance that it would come up under the radio if you used it. I put one in my El Camino with buckets, but it looked like a bench seat wouldn't be a problem as long as it was not all the way forward.

Here is my build thread on that car:

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/nv3500-5-speed-swap.65004/

If you did run into clearance issues, you can flip the shifter tower 180 degrees and have the shift arm point forward instead of backwards which would give you some clearance.

Good luck with your project, and don't forget to use syncromesh fluid instead of gear oil in that transmission.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey man. How 'bout an introduction and some pics? I'm sure we'd all love to see pics of your Safari wagon....I know I would. We'd certainly appreciate it.

Aug 17, 2018
I'll try and get some pictures on tomorrow. Having a hard time finding the s10 nv 2wd. Plenty of full-size trucks around though. That's the way it usually goes.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I put that trans in a previous project from an S-10. I used a straight Hurst shifter. Tho it wasn't a bench seat Gbody IT shouldn't work for what you want

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Don't feel bad, I had to drive a state away to get my trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor