odd question on rally gauges for 84 cutlass

Drkuhar

Drkuhar

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2018
My cutlass was originally a 3.8 6 cylinder car. long sweep speedometer. all factory ecm and under hood wiring not absolutely needed was gutted except for headlights, starter, and alternator many years ago. could i change out to the factory rally guages and run my own wiring out to tach, oil/water/sending units and not sure how voltage guage would hook up.
I think the speedometer cable would be plug and play but dont know for sure. Has anybody tried this to make a rally gauge set work and be accurate. new sending units from the parts store and some wiring shouldnt be to hard unles the car requires the ecm to work.
I dont have an engine in the car yet but am just thinking ahead if this would be possible.
thanks

Drkuhar

Drkuhar

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2018
That is awesome. it doesnt look like it goes through the ecm so I can start tracking down whats needed to do this swap in the spring. Thank You

Onehit

Onehit

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2013
Old Bridge, New Jersey
I've done this swap in my V6 following those instructions only thing is those instructions are for a V8. The V6 is a bit different when it comes to the oil gage, mine still doesn't work right it reads way to high. Other then that it is very simple to do the swap.

Drkuhar

Drkuhar

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2018
I have a 350 Chevy to put in mine but I was looking at running wires from sending units to gauges directly since all factory wiring was cut out. But after pricing some of those clusters I might just leave it alone and add gauges. I had a rally cluster with it when I sold the car 18 years ago but the kid that had it pitched it