Odd Request For 197? Mercedes-Benz W116 6.9L

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
This is not G-Body related, but I know a lot of members here are interested in many other cars. Myself I am a die-hard VW and Air-Cooled Porsche guy. I've found this unknown year (I'm assuming 450SEL), Benz W116, with the mechanical-injected 6.9L V8, at the Jalopy Jungle junk yard in Twin Falls, Idaho. I'm having some difficulty finding a registry. All I could sneak off of the car was the 6.9 badge from the decklid(great shape, two minor scratches), and a Chassis plate that reads "Nr/Chassis - No * " and below that reads "116 036" with stamped numbers "12 005484*". I know that 116 is the designation for the W116 era of Mercedes-Benz, and I know the total production of 6.9L 450's was something like 7 or 8 thousand for five years or so. Are there any die-hard Benz guys here that can give me information on perhaps what year this car was built, where it lies in the production, and if it is number 5484 of approx. 7-8000? Any help on this once beautiful car would be great, thanks in advance.
Benz69.jpg
Benz692.jpg
Benz693.jpg
Benz694.jpg
Benz695.jpg

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
looks like they ran production for 5 years 75-80 on the 6.9l.... 5484 I believe is the production #, so this one may be around a 77-79, about 2/3 the way through the run...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W116

knew a guy when I was stationed in germany in the mid 80's that picked one up with a blown motor, and somehow managed to build an adapter and dropped in a 400 pontiac motor into it.... thing was scary fast, and rode like a cloud!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor