Oddities and happy accidents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Today, I pulled the door panels off of the coupe to change the lock cylinders and diagnose the floppy remote mirror.

Oddity...the watershields were jute, and had a foil coating on both sides. I have not seen this before. Every A/G body I have had the panels off of had paper watershields, sometimes with jute over them to the interior side. The headscratcher to me is that this is a "T27" base Malibu coupe, not a Classic. Seems odd that they would have used a more costly shield on a base car

Happy accident....about a dozen years ago, I bought a set of Gearwrench ratchet wrenches. Year and a half ago or so, the 10mm ceased to ratchet. We had bought a bunch of the sets from NAPA who had said they were lifetime warranty, so I sent it back to them. Apparently, they had stopped carrying Gearwrench, but replaced it with a similar house brand (Carlyle, I believe). I'm borderline OCD, so it bugged me, but I need it on a daily basis, so I let it slide. When I pulled the door panel off of the driver's door tonight, I was checking for debris in the bottom of the shell, and I was like "ooh, there's a wrench down there" I pulled it out and was like. hey, it's a gearwrench. Yep, it was a 10mm, and after a quick shot of oil, freed right up and works like new. Happy for me, not so great for the guy that lost it, but I figure he was probably the jerk that cut the remote cable on the mirror.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 10 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Today, I pulled the door panels off of the coupe to change the lock cylinders and diagnose the floppy remote mirror.

Oddity...the watershields were jute, and had a foil coating on both sides. I have not seen this before. Every A/G body I have had the panels off of had paper watershields, sometimes with jute over them to the interior side. The headscratcher to me is that this is a "T27" base Malibu coupe, not a Classic. Seems odd that they would have used a more costly shield on a base car

Happy accident....about a dozen years ago, I bought a set of Gearwrench ratchet wrenches. Year and a half ago or so, the 10mm ceased to ratchet. We had bought a bunch of the sets from NAPA who had said they were lifetime warranty, so I sent it back to them. Apparently, they had stopped carrying Gearwrench, but replaced it with a similar house brand (Carlyle, I believe). I'm borderline OCD, so it bugged me, but I need it on a daily basis, so I let it slide. When I pulled the door panel off of the driver's door tonight, I was checking for debris in the bottom of the shell, and I was like "ooh, there's a wrench down there" I pulled it out and was like. hey, it's a gearwrench. Yep, it was a 10mm, and after a quick shot of oil, freed right up and works like new. Happy for me, not so great for the guy that lost it, but I figure he was probably the jerk that cut the remote cable on the mirror.
Another oddity is having the remote mirror on a base car

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When I swapped in a Pontiac 400 to my '81 Malibu wagon it took a lot of effort to make it fit. The motor mount holes in the frame had to be drilled for the 301 mounts. The floor had to be bashed up to fit the Pontiac clutch linkage. When I did the same thing to my '83 Bonnewagon, the correct holes in the frame were there. Even though the 301 was out of production for two years already, it fit right in. The floor was not in my way at all. The Pontiac clutch linkage fit like stock. I was pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I've lost more 10mm 1/4" drive sockets than i can count:)

Oddly enough, in 25+ years in the trade, I have only lost 1. It went down the front of an 88-98 Silverado door shell that I was replacing a mirror on....way way down between the reinforcement and outer shell where it curves near the bottom. After weighing the cost of the socket vs the time to gut the door, remove it, and turn it upside down to shake it out, I decided I'd just buy another one.

I guess 10mm losses are pretty high, our Cornwell guy came in a couple months ago with an all 10mm set...various drives and configurations.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor