oem oil gauge not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Hey guys,

I have those rally gauges on my 79 GP. The oil gauge doesn't work properly. So I'm hopin someone out there can help me. When I start the car the needle shoots past 80 psi to the very limit. When I shut the engine off the needle stays stuck there. When I turn the key to the accessory position the needle goes back to zero.

Would this be the gauge or the oil switch at the engine?

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
buzz77 said:
Hey guys,

I have those rally gauges on my 79 GP. The oil gauge doesn't work properly. So I'm hopin someone out there can help me. When I start the car the needle shoots past 80 psi to the very limit. When I shut the engine off the needle stays stuck there. When I turn the key to the accessory position the needle goes back to zero.

sounds like the gauge is working, and I would check to see that the oil pressure switch is hooked up at all. if it is, then the switch could be clogged or bad. They have a small orifice that allows the oil/pressure into the sender, then the pressure is translated to resistance. Either something is disconnected, or the sender or a ground is bad.

MecGen

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2013
Montreal Quebec
buzz77 said:
Hey guys,

Key off unplug your oil sensor wire then key on = guage should go to max
Key off unplug your oil sensor and ground the wire = guage should go all the way down

I agree with the other poster, the sending unit goes bad often. If you do replace the sending unit, be carefull not to over tighten it.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor