OEM Speaker Sizes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Err, yeah more or less. I think the 3.5" or 4" (whatever the little ones are standard) in the front, or a big 6x9" in the center for the AM :roll: radio crowd.

In the back the '78-'80's were 4x10" and after was 6x9" iirc.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Front r 3.5", some aftermarket have trouble fitting. My Monte required loosening the dash cover to gain access. It was worth it.
Rears r 4x10, but with an adapter plate u can put in 6x9s. x9s r more common and sound much better. They can be a PITA, though.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
darnit, so they were *all* 4x10 in the rear? I could have sworn I've pulled what looked like factory 6x9s out of things before. I thought the 4x10s were just for the earlier models where the package tray was smaller...

:oops:

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
GP403 said:
darnit, so they were *all* 4x10 in the rear? I could have sworn I've pulled what looked like factory 6x9s out of things before. I thought the 4x10s were just for the earlier models where the package tray was smaller...

:oops:

All came from the factory with 4x10's and all non-aero cars had the same size package tray. You may have pulled 6x9s out of a G-body but they weren't original to the car.

Believe it or not, even the Aerocoupes came with 4x10s when you could easily fit a 4-5 sets of 6x9's back there :wink:

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
If no radio, there were no speakers. If you had a non-stereo radio, you got a single large speaker up front, or paid additional for a rear speaker kit. If you had stereo, you got 2 small speakers up front and two large speakers in the rear. I still have my original four, used to hear Kool and the Gang coming out of em. When I swap my dashes I'm gonna put brand new speakers up front while theyre easy to install.

79GP6.6L

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2006
Upstate NY
You can always use a set of 6x9 adaptors to install 6x9's where your 4x10's used to be. Oops - just saw them mentioned already above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor