OEM vs. REPRO. Classic Industries purchase of gray tire valve stem caps for comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Another OEM vs. REPRO comparo thread! Just so you know, Olds SSIII chrome wheels- many of them came with gray valve stem caps on the 1.25" long tire valves. The reason for this was simple...um, actually, there is no reason that I could find. Spares had them too. Anyway I don't recall them on my 87 Salon as I was not the original owner and the tires were changed, but the rest of the VIN 9 cars came with them with the chrome super stock wheels. Regardless, these usually end up at the tire shop the first time new tires and valves are put on. So a lot of owners don't even know or remember their car came with gray valve stem caps from the factory.

GN and Montes SS had them too, and probably other GM cars. Mustanks and some other brands used gray caps too, but usually a different style. But that notwithstanding, the GM OEM ones in decent shape are getting harder to find. Classic Industries were the only ones selling "repros" of these for $0.99 each. I use quotes to denote they're basically repros of the black Dill 627 valve stem cap and simply painted a darker gray than the OEM. The OEM example here is originally from my 85 442 and they are molded in gray plastic, not black plastic and then spray painted gray. They seem a tad softer than the repro as well. That could be age, I dunno.

It's very apparent from the underside of the repro cap you can see the black plastic inside with gray overspray drops. While under there, note that the repro caps' threads are very light compared to OEM. Meaning go easy on them because they'll likely strip pretty easy. The thickness seems to be the same, and dimensionally from the outside they're passable. But not a dead ringer by a long shot. As stated, while the gray may have faded a bit on a 36 year old cap, the new cap is definitely a different shade. Luckily they're not all on the same wheel.

Useable? Yes. Worth it? Meh...you could probably go snag up some black Dill 627 caps at the tire store from the guys in the shop area and paint your own. And pick the right shade of gray.

Anyway, that's my take on another repro part.

OEM DILL  gray valve stem cap vs Repro gray cap 1.JPG

OEM DILL  gray valve stem cap vs Repro gray cap 2.JPG

OEM DILL gray valve stem cap vs Repro gray cap 3.JPG

OEM DILL gray valve stem cap vs Repro gray cap 4.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
They are both valve stem caps, I think the "repo" aspect of it ends there. More differences than similarities.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's just one of those detail items that only matters if you're going stock/restoration. The majority of people that would be checking out your car with them on wouldn't even know or even care. But then again, if you were getting judged and I had the sheet, I'd know... :)

If you thought you were buying real-deal gray plastic caps, you'd be wrong.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So when does your book come out?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I remember when I sold my original unused spare from my GN the guy was excited it had the original grey valve stem cap.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I remember when I sold my original unused spare from my GN the guy was excited it had the original grey valve stem cap.

Different strokes and all that, but that's kind of nuts.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Different strokes and all that, but that's kind of nuts.
It's not if he was doing a restoration. For one, if it was a T145/80D16, that's a hard spare to find nowadays. 85 442 came with that size (25.4" diameter x 5.6" wide WITH G80) or a T125/70D15 (21.6" diameter x 4.9" wide WITHOUT G80)

I found most of my "spare" gray caps on...wait for it.... spares. In the yard crawls several years ago when G-bodies were abundant. Check the trunk, find an original temp spare, check condition and if gray, take the cap. Simple. I netted 11 in one day one time...Also found a couple at the cool local tire shop in town periodically. Other tire shops were dlcks and wouldn't let me sort through their pile of junk citing insurance liability blah blah.

Reactions: 1 user

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Every super low mile '83 and '84 H/O I've seen had black ones, 391 miles:

Attachments

• mutant-martian-hurst-harlot-391-mile-1983-oldsmobile-cutlass-15th00b0b_4DjZ7vaiXdQ_0CI0t2_1200...jpg
    mutant-martian-hurst-harlot-391-mile-1983-oldsmobile-cutlass-15th00b0b_4DjZ7vaiXdQ_0CI0t2_1200...jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 174
  • mutant-martian-hurst-harlot-391-mile-1983-oldsmobile-cutlass-15th01212_iuMrc2zUiA6_0CI0t2_1200...jpg
    mutant-martian-hurst-harlot-391-mile-1983-oldsmobile-cutlass-15th01212_iuMrc2zUiA6_0CI0t2_1200...jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor