Off idle BOG at WOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I do have 2 fuel filters. 1 just outside of the tank - 40 micron, and another 40 micron just before carb (after fuel pump). Carb does not have a filter inside, and the only other filter would be the sock on the sending unit. Is running these 2 filters a no no? I recently switched from electric to manual pump, and added the 2nd fuel filter to replace where the electric pump was.
Might want to remove that filter by the tank. Carb/mechanical fuel pump set ups should only have filters between the pump & carb. That other filter might be adding an to the bogging by creating extra resistance in the fuel flow & not allowing the proper volume of fuel the pump is ment to push.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MonteLS_84

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2021
Might want to remove that filter by the tank. Carb/mechanical fuel pump set ups should only have filters between the pump & carb. That other filter might be adding an to the bogging by creating extra resistance in the fuel flow & not allowing the proper volume of fuel the pump is ment to push.
Will do. Willing to try anything at this point. To my disappointment, the bog is back, and it going away was just a coincidence.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Now wondering if the culprit is something else. Seem to recall that at one point you mentioned the stall speed on the converter being around 2200, and that you are running 20 inch wheels and a 3.73 rear end ring/pinion combi. By any chance do you happen to know what the gear ratios are in your t-mission?

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
CCC is unplugged and in the trunk. Correct, I am running Edelbrock 650 carb and MSD street fighter HEI distributor. This other connector (previously pictured) apparently was part of the harness that plugged into the CCC.

In regards to that connector, I am using pins A and F to engage and disengage lock up via a toggle switch.

Being that I'm running carb and HEI, how or why could anything in this connector give me a bog?

I do have 2 fuel filters. 1 just outside of the tank - 40 micron, and another 40 micron just before carb (after fuel pump). Carb does not have a filter inside, and the only other filter would be the sock on the sending unit. Is running these 2 filters a no no? I recently switched from electric to manual pump, and added the 2nd fuel filter to replace where the electric pump was.

As for distributor, I bought and installed this MSD one the other day. The only mods I did to this one is put in light springs, which I'm going to swap out for medium springs today. I'm currently hearing pinging.

I'm going to have to redo my timing today, as I think I moved the distributor a little when swapping. I'm going to get TDC, and start around 10 degrees...and advance and retard until it sounds smooth. Then, disconnect vacuum advance, set idle to 3000 rpm, and set timing somewhere between 34 and 36 degrees. Idle down, set idle, plug advance back in, and drive. Am I missing anything?
Gonna suggest that you decommission that plug completely. Just reviewed your specs post and did not see what version of transmission you are running but with having a lock up as you say, the best possibilities are either a 200R4 or a 700R4. I did a t-mission swap a couple of years ago and the 700R4 that I chose to use had the electric lockup. How it worked in my particular instance was that that the way the lockup was powered/wired by the factory, it was active in all four gears. Using the brake disconnected it temporarily but as the vehicle accelerated, it would reset and go active again. The physical switch that controlled all this was actually located on the brake pedal and was the same switch that actuated the brakes. in my case, depressing the brake pedal both brought the brake lights on, and temporarily broke the connection to the lock up circuit. If your transmission had the lockup feature to begin with, then it is possible that the lockup did not take its power from the CCC/ECM but got it directly via a switch such as the one I just described. Only way to know for certain is to take a flashlight and take a look at the brake pedal up by where it is attached to its bracket to see if you can identify how many contacts the brake light switch has. Should you see just two then the power is only to the brake lights; if you see four, one pair near the pivot shaft of the pedal and the other pair near the other end of the switch, then that second pair is power to the switch from a 12V source, and power from the switch to the lockup plug in down on the t-mission case.

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
10 hours and one good night's sleep later, just and purely as a suggestion, I am going to propose that you swap out those 20 inch wheel/tire's and replace them with some 16's, just to see what difference the shorter tire will make to you initial acceleration.

What I am thinking is that the 20's are too tall a tire for your level of engine build. Not going to get too far into the physics and mechanics of circular rotation and motion but the bigger the tire/wheel, generally speaking, the greater the amount of inertia or resistance to movement that has to be overcome. For a car, torque is the force, applied to the wheel, that overcomes its tendency, aka inertia, to want to stay at rest.

Your choice of motor, a 350, even if built up from stock, has more of a reputation for horsepower, or speed if you will, than for torque, or low end acceleration. It's strong point is its ability to build rpm quickly. It was it's bigger brothers, the 396/427 that were the torque monsters of their era, along with the big block BOP's, and their counterparts across the aisle in Ford and Dodge country.

So, when you whack the throttle pedal, your motor does its best to initiate motion BUT, it has to overcome the weight of the vehicle, the parasitic horsepower loss throughout the drivetrain, plus the combination of rear end gear x Tire height/circumference and, it just might be proving too much workload for the engine. It, the engine, is telling you this by displaying lousy acceleration and bogging when you go to WOT.

Even at cruising speed, when you try to suddenly accelerate, the amount of inertia or resistance to change in speed is still high enough that the vehicle does not respond as quickly as you would wish it to.

You have the acceleration of a 10 T Dump truck (which uses a double transmission combination to overcome inertia and weight) when you want the acceleration of a Ferrari.

With the 16's mounted and secured, even a lap or two around the hood or a short blast up the highway ought to give you a feel for whether the vehicle is responding more enthusiastically to input from the go pedal.

Nick

MonteLS_84

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2021
Now wondering if the culprit is something else. Seem to recall that at one point you mentioned the stall speed on the converter being around 2200, and that you are running 20 inch wheels and a 3.73 rear end ring/pinion combi. By any chance do you happen to know what the gear ratios are in your t-mission?

Nick
Transmission is a th350c (w/ lock up). It has been rebuilt, and strengthened/upgraded but original gearing. I'm assuming

• First gear: 2.52 to 1.
  • Second gear: 1.52 to 1.
  • Third gear: direct drive, i.e., 1.0 to 1.
  • Reverse: 2.07 to 1.

MonteLS_84

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2021
Gonna suggest that you decommission that plug completely. Just reviewed your specs post and did not see what version of transmission you are running but with having a lock up as you say, the best possibilities are either a 200R4 or a 700R4. I did a t-mission swap a couple of years ago and the 700R4 that I chose to use had the electric lockup. How it worked in my particular instance was that that the way the lockup was powered/wired by the factory, it was active in all four gears. Using the brake disconnected it temporarily but as the vehicle accelerated, it would reset and go active again. The physical switch that controlled all this was actually located on the brake pedal and was the same switch that actuated the brakes. in my case, depressing the brake pedal both brought the brake lights on, and temporarily broke the connection to the lock up circuit. If your transmission had the lockup feature to begin with, then it is possible that the lockup did not take its power from the CCC/ECM but got it directly via a switch such as the one I just described. Only way to know for certain is to take a flashlight and take a look at the brake pedal up by where it is attached to its bracket to see if you can identify how many contacts the brake light switch has. Should you see just two then the power is only to the brake lights; if you see four, one pair near the pivot shaft of the pedal and the other pair near the other end of the switch, then that second pair is power to the switch from a 12V source, and power from the switch to the lockup plug in down on the t-mission case.

Nick
I'll check the brake pedal. So far, I have confirmed that the connector in question (and pictured) is called an ALDL connector, and that pin F connected to pin A will activate lock up, which is what I have wired. What I need to figure yet is which side (black or white connector) goes to the trans because my spaces are on the black connector's side. I would like to have that brake button active maybe...but I am running my switch through a vacuum switch, so might not matter. Idk..

MonteLS_84

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2021
10 hours and one good night's sleep later, just and purely as a suggestion, I am going to propose that you swap out those 20 inch wheel/tire's and replace them with some 16's, just to see what difference the shorter tire will make to you initial acceleration.

What I am thinking is that the 20's are too tall a tire for your level of engine build. Not going to get too far into the physics and mechanics of circular rotation and motion but the bigger the tire/wheel, generally speaking, the greater the amount of inertia or resistance to movement that has to be overcome. For a car, torque is the force, applied to the wheel, that overcomes its tendency, aka inertia, to want to stay at rest.

Your choice of motor, a 350, even if built up from stock, has more of a reputation for horsepower, or speed if you will, than for torque, or low end acceleration. It's strong point is its ability to build rpm quickly. It was it's bigger brothers, the 396/427 that were the torque monsters of their era, along with the big block BOP's, and their counterparts across the aisle in Ford and Dodge country.

So, when you whack the throttle pedal, your motor does its best to initiate motion BUT, it has to overcome the weight of the vehicle, the parasitic horsepower loss throughout the drivetrain, plus the combination of rear end gear x Tire height/circumference and, it just might be proving too much workload for the engine. It, the engine, is telling you this by displaying lousy acceleration and bogging when you go to WOT.

Even at cruising speed, when you try to suddenly accelerate, the amount of inertia or resistance to change in speed is still high enough that the vehicle does not respond as quickly as you would wish it to.

You have the acceleration of a 10 T Dump truck (which uses a double transmission combination to overcome inertia and weight) when you want the acceleration of a Ferrari.

With the 16's mounted and secured, even a lap or two around the hood or a short blast up the highway ought to give you a feel for whether the vehicle is responding more enthusiastically to input from the go pedal.

Nick
I agree that the smaller wheels should perform better. I'll put this on my list of things to try. Today, I'm fattening up the secondaries, installing a new accelerator pump, and removing 1 of 2 fuel filters...to see if I can find any changes.

For the sake of argument, I personally know of and have seen Monte's with 20 and 22 inch wheels run like monsters. I know of one guy in particular with a completely stock 350 and 20" rims...and does burnouts with no brake. 3.73 rear. Maybe 700r4, I can't recall but..

I guess my point is, I see and know people running larger rims and have better performance. Even have a friend that brake torque his 305 with 22" rims, which has me crying over here.

My biggest beef is that I can hear and feel the dead "stop". When I slam the pedal, it almost sounds like air...and the car just doesn't even try to go. Tells me it should be carb related but...again, going to try everything. Maybe I'll get a chance to change wheels today.

I was fiddling with the carb moments ago. The accelerator pump seemed to be working fine. But...my question is...is the runner gasket for the pump supposed to be so air tight? Seems to me it is giving not only a shot of fuel...but a small shot of air due to the tight seal. 🤔 Thinking out loud...

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
I did not specifically include the TH350 w/the third gear lockup because it works a little differently than the two that I mentioned. In the 350 variant, only third gear locks up and there are just two wires attached to the plug that fits into the socket located on the driver's side of the case. It still uses the double terminal switch that sits on the bracket above the brake pedal but there was no VOES (Vacuum over Electric Switch) as part of that circuit. My 700R4 does have that switch, however.

Unlike the 4 spds, the 350 does not depend on internal pressure in the case for a signal to shift. The 350, even the E version and its variants, all depend on vacuum. While there are ports on the carb that do offer full time vacuum, I personally found it better to use the vacuum port on the intake, located just ahead of the timer. In the stock iteration, there is a shaped length of tubing that is attached to the vacuum module located down and just ahead of the tailshaft housing on the passenger's side of the case by a short length of rubber hose. Up at the top at the vacuum port, another short nipple of tube makes that connection.

The stock vacuum module as it comes from the factory cannot be adjusted for shift timing. There are supposedly aftermarket versions that have that ability.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor