oil/choke light comes on when I stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigt0006

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2012
So I have had my 87 cutlass supreme for about a month and I noticed that once the car warms up and I come to a stop the choke/oil light comes on, its not just when I stop sometimes it when I let of the gas like when im going down a hill. Now if I put it in nutrual when going down a hill or when im stopped the light doesnt come on so what is the issue I have a rebuilt olds 307 I took out of a 85 salon that caught fire,so if it means the engines shot its no big deal just want to know whats going on

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
Sounds like low oil pressure. Keep your ears open for rod knock. Otherwise, motor on until it quits. You might try a slightly heavier oil at your next change and see if that keeps the light off.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Is it the 231 V6? if so they are real prone to oil pump failures and if it just started possible a new pump will solve problem.

bigt0006

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2012
No its the 307 v8 I just changed the oil and I check it weekly the oil level is fine

bigt0006

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2012
No it runs the same with the light on as it does when its not on. Im only the second owner of the car it was a little old ladies car I had the original tittle and all the maintnence logs

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Could be a faulty sender... Only way to know is put a real oil pressure gauge on it and see if you are losing oil pressure at idle warm vs cold.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If the pressure is low enough to turn the light on you'd be hearing your valve train singing. I try a new sender and see if that cures it.

bigt0006

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2012
Well I will get out there tomorrow and hook up an oil pressure gauge hope thats all it is ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor