Oil Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
For those of you running engine oil coolers, show me what you got. Where are they mounted, what brand / hardware, results and effects, tell me all please :D I am looking for inspiration ^^
Challenge Accepted.png

Reactions: 1 user

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
May I ask what your going to install it in?

two words: european traffic :ROFLMAO: i installed a gauge to monitor the exact oil temperature, and its somewhere around 280-300 Fahrenheit. Well, the oil in the engine can handle it, but they recommend such high temperatures only under heavy use. regular temperature should be around 150- 200 Fahrenheit ^^

and my my other, european cars have engine oil coolers too, so it can't hurt my US baby if the oil temp gets lowered and kept stable as well ^^

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
your oil temperature will only be 10 to 15 degrees F hotter than your coolant temperature. Before you add the oil cooler I would verify the reading you are getting is accurate and if it is I would verify the actual coolant temperature. The oil and coolant live in the same house, just different rooms and the variance between them cannot be as much as your gauges are telling you

Last edited:
  • Informative

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Setrab is the industry leader but there are plenty of good brands out there.

Reactions: 1 user

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
your oil temperature is only be 10 to 15 degrees F hotter than your coolant temperature. Before you add the oil cooler I would verify the reading you are getting is accurate and if it is I would verify the actual coolant temperature. The oil and coolant live in the same house, just different rooms and the variance between them cannot be as much as your gauges are telling you

My water temp says 160 to 210 depending on the driving. that's about perfect. the transmission runs between 140 and 165 which is in my eyes perfect too . only the engine oil runs hot. i tried a gauge and temp-sensor from different brand (autometer, VDO and Bosch), and they all tell me the oil is excessively high :unsure:

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Fluo Ferret & all; Mine is a Hadden unit with AN fittings & a thermostat. Mounted in front of the radiator. You can see it under the clear aux light - drivers side. I also have a B & M trans cooler mounted on the other side (Pass) under the fog light, again AN fittings. Hope this helps, Ole' Bob.

Attachments

• 14-04-12_Grill.JPG
    14-04-12_Grill.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 278
Reactions: 2 users

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
Setrab is the industry leader but there are plenty of good brands out there.

I don't know if my oil cooler is made by setrab, but I picked it up at Audi here in town :) its basically the same than in my modified A5: plate and fins for high oil flow.

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
Do you have Vintage Races in your area. I got my ideas from the road race cars , I used an fittings on mine and it depends on the car .Some even use electric fans on those.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My water temp says 160 to 210 depending on the driving. that's about perfect. the transmission runs between 140 and 165 which is in my eyes perfect too . only the engine oil runs hot. i tried a gauge and temp-sensor from different brand (autometer, VDO and Bosch), and they all tell me the oil is excessively high :unsure:

if your oil is that hot then your coolant temperature will be within 15 degrees of that, it's physics that keep the two fluids close in temperatures. Your transmission cooler in your radiator also maintains the heat of the transmission oil with the help of the coolant temperature and the temperature of the transmission fluid is proper as you indicated. I still think the temperature readings of your oil is incorrect.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor