Oil Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

iains

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2019
Allright, the larger K&N oil filter did help a little bit, but still, the temperatures are high. I am now putting in a cooler and routing the oil lines
View attachment 119516

For some reason, I thought it to be a good idea to pull the oil filter adapter and check its bypass-valve. Two things:
1) There was no gasket between the adapter and the engine
2) The bypass-valve loos pretty beat up. Compared to a new one I had in stock, I doubt that it should look like this. Right side is the new one, left side the old one.
View attachment 119517
Allright, the larger K&N oil filter did help a little bit, but still, the temperatures are high. I am now putting in a cooler and routing the oil lines
View attachment 119516

For some reason, I thought it to be a good idea to pull the oil filter adapter and check its bypass-valve. Two things:
1) There was no gasket between the adapter and the engine
2) The bypass-valve loos pretty beat up. Compared to a new one I had in stock, I doubt that it should look like this. Right side is the new one, left side the old one.
View attachment 119517
Just a thought- I'm thinking of the things that might elevate oil temperature; things work the oil such as pressure, pumping, normal heat absorption or an abnormal source such as a leak of exhaust into the crankcase or even the valve train area, bearing clearances too tight, oil pumping system restricting flow somewhere, crankshaft windage... You are intuitively on the right track it seems. You may want to investigate just how bad it would be to drop the pan to get at the bearings. I once did a 289 installed in a Mustang. Not exactly a pleasant experience, but it had a rope rear main seal.

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
UPDATE:

The oil cooler is installed and the oil temperature stays just below 250°F. The gauge doesn't go any further after a first test drive. The engine also seems to run a lot smoother. Future test rides will show if this will endure, and I still can add other small fans to the radiator later, if needed.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
UPDATE:

The oil cooler is installed and the oil temperature stays just below 250°F. The gauge doesn't go any further after a first test drive. The engine also seems to run a lot smoother. Future test rides will show if this will endure, and I still can add other small fans to the radiator later, if needed.

if it still up around 250 either the gauge is off or there is another issue causing the high oil temperature.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
if it still up around 250 either the gauge is off or there is another issue causing the high oil temperature.

I currently pondering about putting a T-fitting into the outgoing oil conduct and measure the temperature there, and also checking the electrical connections and cables of the gauge. This could give me the next clue in what is wrong.

And I really appreciate all the input/help you guys give me ^^

Reactions: 3 users

iains

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2019
If you could fabricate a log manifold to install 2 or more oil temp gauges, preferably one mechanical one electrical etc that might help eliminate one variable.

iains

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2019
FluoFerret, where is the oil temp sensor located, and are you certain, if electrical, that your wiring (especially ground) is good?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when you are warming up the car does the oil temperature climb faster than the coolant temperature?

Reactions: 1 users

iains

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2019
When posting a question, be prepared...

Attachments

• jpp2j.jpg
    jpp2j.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: 1 user

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
If you could fabricate a log manifold to install 2 or more oil temp gauges, preferably one mechanical one electrical etc that might help eliminate one variable.
FluoFerret, where is the oil temp sensor located, and are you certain, if electrical, that your wiring (especially ground) is good?

The oil temperature sensor is located in the engine-block just above the oil filter. That's the place where according to the GM Manual the temp sensor sits.
The wiring should be okay, but this afternoon I will have another look at it, just to be sure.

when you are warming up the car does the oil temperature climb faster than the coolant temperature?

First the water temperature rises slowly, followed by the oil temperature. After about 4-7 minutes, the oil reaches 250 (or more, since the gauge stops at 250 and the needle still goes beyond) before the radiator fans start. They start at 210°F and their switch is located in the driver side cylinder head between #1 and #3.

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
I would change the sensor against a new one. Usually the oil a lot more time to heat up. My van needs about 15 minutes and 10-15 miles to get the oil above 75°C.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor