Oil Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I know the GM trucks with oil coolers usually leaked. A lot of effort and not necessary except on maybe boosted vehicles.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I know the GM trucks with oil coolers usually leaked. A lot of effort and not necessary except on maybe boosted vehicles.

On both of mine, it was just the lines. Replaced both and was good to go. On the trucks with the radiator only coolers, those were to promote more stable temps more so than just to cool, i.e. it'd warm the oil faster in the winter.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
On both of mine, it was just the lines. Replaced both and was good to go. On the trucks with the radiator only coolers, those were to promote more stable temps more so than just to cool, i.e. it'd warm the oil faster in the winter.

CVPIs use a remote version of an oil to coolant heat exchanger, part of its function is to keep the oil warm during long idling periods. Its pretty much a boat oil cooler.

Some of the 3rd Gen F bodies used a really compact oil to liquid cooler that was sandwhich mounted at the oil filter. Used a coolant line from the heater hose and a block drain port. Bad thing about it is that it will not clear a mechcanical fuel pump. Guess its why it was only offered on the TPI cars. No matter type of oil cooler you use, you need one with a oil T-stant to allow it to warm up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor