oil filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ter'M'Up

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2006
Hey all, long time no post, been a little busy, blah, blah, blah...I know.
The question I have now is...I have read online about the 231 buick engine having oil pressure issues, and one recomendation (possibly easiest), it to replace oil filter with a larger one, and specific part #'s were given. Now I cannot find this info anymore?? I am not expecting miracles, no pressure light on currently, but changing oil, thought I would give it a shot. I do have easy access to Fram filters, and if any part # could be given, would be help...local walmart goes strickly by the book, looks @ me like I have 3 heads or something when I ask this question.
Thanks.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
Out of curiosity, how would a larger oil filter help with oil pressure? I could See it increasing capacity a marginal amount, but pressure? Im not so sure.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the oil pump is easily accessable on the 3.8 buick motor as it is sitting right under the filter housing. The problem that can oocur with those motors and the 350 buick motor alike is the oil pick up tubes can become clogged if the oil wasn't changed on a regular basis. If you want to incease the oil pressure there are springs you can buy to increase the relief pressure

gman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2006
Winnipeg
The way oil pressure is increased in a small block chevy is to shim the spring in the oil pump. Should work on the buick also. If you are looking for a longer filter someone like autozone should have a fram cross reference book that lists the bolt size and seal type. If he is really knowledgeable he should be able to pull one off the shelf with little problem.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
gman...they sell spring kits with 3 different springs to increase the oil pressure for a few bucks.

gman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2006
Winnipeg
I guess I am to old to know about spring kits. Back then we shimmed the spring or bought a aftermarket pump. Ahhh How things change

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
gman...one old man to another I use to stretch the spring out and that gave me a few more pounds of pressure...for a few weeks anyhow... :oops:

JWO Racing

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2006
Ontario Canada
If you have too much clearance in the bottom end no matter what you do to the oil pump you will not get an increase in oil pressure. Pressure is resistance to flow, no resistance no opressure. The only thing you can do is tighten up clearance or increase the flow (volume of the pump). The spring you guys are talking about protects the oil filter from bursting and determines the max pressure if you can get the pump there.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
For easy oil pressure increase on a sbc get from your dealer a spring from a 409 bbc for your pump. gives constant 50-60 lbs of oil pres. It cost me under $15. that was in 1998 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor