oil filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWO Racing

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2006
Ontario Canada
The spring is the relief valve in the pump. As I was trying to explain that a LOSS of oil pressure is usually caused by excessive bottom end clearance. It is possible to "stick a relief valve open" and loose pressure that way, but unlikely. If you have guage and you rev your motor up and you see the gauge climb to 45 psi and stop with plenty of revs to go that is probably the relief valve opening. There can be a small loss of pressure through the filter but the fliter by-pass would take care of that. Ter'M'Up does not state he has an oil pressure issue... so who knows? As far Fram filters go they suck try using NAPA gold aor Amsoil filters.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I thought Ter'n'up was looking to increase the oil pressure and since those buicks have the pump easily assessable on the front of the engine a spring upgrade would be easy....and yes Fram filters are not the filters to use. I have seen the interference some filters have with oil pressure. I like the Amsoil filters but I havn't tried that Napa filter.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
JWO Racing said:
As far Fram filters go they suck try using NAPA gold aor Amsoil filters.
Yes, thank you! Remember: Friends dont let friends run Fram filters!
I'm a big fan of NAPA Gold filters made by Wix. It doesn't pay to cut corners on oil filters!

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Chevyman85 said:
I'm a big fan of NAPA Gold filters made by Wix. It doesn't pay to cut corners on oil filters!
Just to let u know that Wix was sold by Dana Corp to Affinia. And I haven't noticed a bit of difference. I'm still happy with mine, too.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
When did the buy out happen? I didn't hear anything about it. Do you have anymore info? I'm assuming that they just bought the name then?

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Not real sure when it happened. When did the boxes change? About 9 months ago IIRC. I think that's when it happened. IMO this is a good thing, DANA has been having some probs for a while now. They sold WeatherHead to Eaton (I think), Spicer was sold off, too. I think they only 2 things they kept were Victor Reinz and Clevite. And NAPA is switching over to Fel-Pro and Sealed Power now so they lost one of their biggest customers.
But back on topic, the filters never changed which is a good thing to me. I like the comfort level in finding a quality part and then continuing to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor